These carrot tacos are perfect for the spring season. They are made with carrot tops and shredded carrots. They are easy to prepare and extremely delicious with spicy Mexican salsa verde.
I also love this recipe because it is perfect to use the carrot pulp if you make carrot juice. We are five at home, almost five adults, so imagine how many carrots I have to use to get more or less 5 cups of juice. .. Almost an entire container, lol. It used to bother me having so much leftover pulp, but not anymore. Since I discovered how to use it, I’m happy to make all the carrot juice in the world. Some fun ways to use the leftover pulp is to make carrot bread, taquitos, dressings, cookies, etc.Another great thing about this recipe is that it uses, the carrot tops which are perfect for the filling. And although carrots are the type of vegetable that can be obtained all year round, right now in spring-summer, it is when they are best. This time of year they are sweet, crispy and delicious.
I have always told my children that it is very important to eat carrots to have healthy sight. But it is also vital to eat them for our immune system, they do wonders with our lungs, they are full of vitamin K, B1 and they have a lot of minerals.
Well, also my mom prepared them without the carrot tops. And it is funny because before it was believed that the stems were poisonous, but now they are used to make from tacos to chimichurri. There are many studies (here is a small one) where it is proven that they are not poisonous. The stems and leaves of the carrots are full of vitamins and minerals. And they have a lot of flavor. Don’t you love it when you have no water at all?
So here is the recipe for these healthy delicious and plant-based
and if you like it please share the recipe and take a picture and post it on Instagram, FB or save it for later on Pinterest.
- 1 tablespoon of oil extra if you are frying the tacos
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 10-12 oz. extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot tops or parsley
- 2 cups carrots grated or the pulp if you make juice
- 1/4 cup of cilantro you can also use parsley
- 12 corn tortillas
To prepare them on the stove:
- Take the tofu out of the package and drain it very well. You can leave it on roll paper napkins folded in four so that they absorb all the liquid of the tofu.
- Heat a pan and add the tablespoon of oil. Put the onion and saute, until lightly browned. In the meantime crumble the tofu.
- Add the tofu to the onion When you see most of the liquid has evaporated add the grated carrots and salt.
- Keep stirring until the mixture feels dry and loose. Finally, add the cilantro and the carrot tops.
- FOR SOFT TACOS:
- Heat tortillas on a skillet or pan and make the taquitos with the hot mixture.
- Serve with salsa verde
- FOR CRISPY FRIED TACOS:
- Fill the tortillas with the carrot mixture and form the taquitos. If necessary, put a toothpick to prevent them from unfolding. In a pan put oil 2-3 tablespoons of oil and fry until golden brown.
- Serve them with salsa verde.
In the oven:
- Prepare a baking sheet with a little oil and preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a large bowl mix the onion, carrot, carrot tops, cilantro, tofu, and salt.
- Heat the tortillas so they are soft and pliable so you can form the tacos. Fill each tortilla with two or three tablespoons of the filling. Roll the tacos and place them on a baking sheet with the seam facing down. Spray with oil and put in the oven until the tortillas are golden brown, 20 min approximately.
- Serve with salsa verde.