I grew up drinking jamaica. In Mexico, every meal is served with an agua fresca on the side, and if you open the fridge of any Mexican family, you’ll find a big pitcher of some type of agua fresca (a refreshing beverage) in there.
What is hibiscus -Flor de jamaica?
The flor de jamaica hibiscus flower– comes from a plant that grows all over the world in tropical-ish weather. This flower has a trumpet shape and a deep red color.
It is harvested and dried so we can make a delicious tea. You can drink hot hibiscus tea or cold. If you are making the authentic jamaica Mexican drink, you’ll use it cold.
💥FUN FACT Hibiscus is also known as roselle (Australia), sorrel (Caribean), jamaica, or rosa de jamaica (Latin America). In México we call it jamaica and this is how you pronounce it: hah-may-kah.
How does Flor de jamaica – hibiscus flower taste?
Hibiscus taste is very complex. It is tart, sweet, and kind of cranberry-like. In a way, you know these flavors, and they might taste familiar. Hibiscus tea is caffeine-free, so feel free to taste it any time of the day.
What are the benefits of hibiscus?
It has a ton of benefits. Hisbiscus is known for its impressive amount of antioxidants, for helping out with blood pressure, and many more.
How to prepare jamaica mexican drink?
- First, boil 4-6 cups of water in a pot. When you get to the rolling boil turn the heat off.
- Add the hibiscus flowers and let it steep.
- Strain the tea and add it to a pitcher.
- Sweeten your hibiscus tea with sugar or the sweetener of your choice.
- Mix and serve.
Some Helpful Tips to make the best agua fresca
- Where do I buy hibiscus flowers? In supermarkets, you ‘ll find it next to the dry chiles in the Mexican food section. In some places, you can buy it buy the bulk or you can even order some through Amazon or other online stores.
- When you strain the tea DO NOT THROW AWAY THE FLOWERS, they are edible and delicious. One of my favorite ways to eat them is in tacos, yes, tacos de jamaica with avocado slices.
- Hibiscus tea “agua fresca” tastes really good when you combine it with:
Here are some authentic and traditional Mexican dishes to eat while enjoying a glass of fresh, refreshing drink:
So here is the recipe for this agua de jamaica -Hibiscus tea and I hope you like it. Please let me know if you have ideas, doubts, or comments in the comment section. Share the recipe and the blog and take a picture of your agua fresca and post it on FB or Instagram. If you want to make this recipe later, save it on Pinterest.
Please give it 5 stars, this helps other people find my recipe on google.
- 6 cups of water
- 1 ½ cups dried hibiscus flowers
- 1/2 cup sugar, or more to taste
- Bring 4 cups of water to a rolling boil. Turn the heat off and add the the dried hibiscus flowers.
- Let it rest for 8-10 minutes.Strain the liquid into a pitcher.
- Add 2 more cups of water and the sugar. Mix and taste, adjust if necessary.
- Add ice to the pitcher or serve in a glass filled with ice.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.