A calzone is a type of pizza that is folded in half and sealed with dough. The dough is usually made from flour, water, and yeast. The filling can be anything from cheese and tomato sauce to meat and vegetables.
Calzones are typically baked in an oven, but they can also be fried or air fried. This is the best air fryer calzone recipe that, on top of all, happens to be vegan.
About this recipe
With this easy calzone recipe, you’ll have a delicious and piping hot calzone in 30 minutes. I know it is hard to believe but once you learn all about the GE Profile wall oven functions you will understand why.
These calzones will not only be delicious, they are also fun to make, healthy-ish, and you can always make them with your favorite ingredients. This is a great recipe to make with your family; it’s like making a personal pizza for each member of your family.
It is also a great recipe to cook with kids, with the oven's proof function and the air fryer function you will be able to cut the recipe's original cooking time down by more than half. And with the help of the timer and the in-oven camera you’ll be able to make your time in the kitchen a fun experience with your family and build amazing memories.
Ingredients for the calzone dough recipe
- All-purpose flour . Use all-purpose. I prefer unbleached and unenriched flour.
- Yeast. I use dry yeast, which is the one sold in sachets in any supermarket. The same yeast is used to make cinnamon rolls, Vegan Day of the Dead bread, chocolate cinnamon rolls, and no-knead homemade bread.
- Salt. I use kosher salt.
- Water. It is important to have your water at the right temperature.
How to make the dough
- With your hands. Add the flour to a large bowl and add salt and yeast. Mix with a wooden spoon and add the water. Mix until there is no water left. It’s going to make a sticky dough. Place it on a floured surface and start kneading until a smooth dough is formed. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Use the stand mixer. Add all the ingredients to the mixer bowl using the dough hook attachment and mix on low speed until everything is integrated. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides down using a spatula. Turn on the mixer a little faster and knead for 5-7 minutes until a soft dough forms.
- Proof the dough. Add the dough to a clean bowl covered with olive oil, place it in your GE Profile oven, and press the PROOF FUNCTION. Set the timer for 20 minutes.
- Cover the oven with kitchen plastic or a towel if you are not using the oven. Leave at room temperature for two hours or until the dough doubles in size.
The proof setting in the GE Profile oven is designed for rising (fermenting and proofing) bread doughs. It is as easy as making your dough, covering the dough to prevent drying with a kitchen towel or olive oil, and putting it inside the oven. Then, press the PROOF setting on the touch screen and press start.
Ingredients for the filling
- Tomato sauce, or your favorite store-bought pizza sauce or marinara sauce.
- Cheese, vegan cheese, ricotta cheese, or mozzarella cheese.
- Spices, a dash of oregano, and fresh basil. You could also use a spice blend.
- For a veggie calzone, mushrooms, spinach, red bell peppers, roasted garlic, onions, or other vegetables.
- If you wish, you can add vegan Italian sausage, vegan pepperoni.
How to make the air fryer calzone
- Flour the surface you will work on.
- Roll the dough to form an 8″ circle. Spoon the tomato sauce in the middle, and sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese (I use vegan). Add a pinch of dried oregano and one or two torn fresh basil leaves. Add veggies if you wish.
- Carefully fold the dough in half and start folding inward the edges. Be sure to seal the edges all around. Brush the top with olive oil if you wish.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and place in the oven. Set your oven to the air fryer function at 400ºF, and leave for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown.
With the GE Profile oven there is no need to preheat your air fryer, which makes it even faster to have this family favorite ready in less time.
Why is this GE Profile oven a smart appliance?
With the SmartHQ App, you can preheat your oven and monitor the cooking progress from anywhere. Plus, you’ll receive alerts on your mobile device when your food is ready. Now you can cook with confidence, even when you’re not in the kitchen.
Frequently asked questions
Is pizza dough and calzone dough the same? Yes, it is. I use the same dough for pizzas and in my famous recipe for sheet pan pizza.
Can you freeze calzones? Yes, freeze before baking. As soon as you seal the edges of your calzone, place it in a freezer-safe container and freeze until ready to use. There is no need to thaw before baking.
Can I use a regular air fryer ? Yes, preheat your air fryer . Place the calzones on a piece of parchment paper on top of the air fryer basket. Cook at 325°F for 8 minutes, turn around and cook for 4 more minutes or until dough is golden brown.
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Air fryer vegan calzone
- Rolling Pin
- Mixing bowl
- 3½ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 325 ml water
- extra flour to knead
- 1 28- oz can whole San Marzano tomato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated vegan cheese
- fresh basil leaves
- Mix the dough's ingredients and knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes. Put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover it with a kitchen cloth or kitchen wrap.Proof the dough. Add the dough to a clean bowl covered with olive oil, place it in your GE Profile oven, and press the PROOF FUNCTION. Set the timer for 20 minutes. Cover the oven with kitchen plastic or a towel if you are not using the oven. Leave at room temperature for two hours or until the dough doubles in size.
- Flour the surface you will work on. Roll the dough to form an 8" circle. Spoon the tomato sauce in the middle, and sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese (I use vegan). Add a pinch of dried oregano and one or two torn fresh basil leaves. Add veggies if you wish. Carefully fold the dough in half and start folding inward the edges. Be sure to seal the edges all around. Brush the top with olive oil if you wish.Transfer to a baking sheet and place in the oven. Set your oven to the air fryer function at 400ºF, and leave for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.