This apple salad with brussels sprouts, pomegranate seeds, and an epic maple-balsamic vinaigrette is delicious, nutritious, and very easy to prepare.
This salad is perfect for the whole family and for when you want your children to experience new flavors or just eat a good salad and fresh fruits and vegetables.
INGREDIENTS for THE APPLE SALAD with Brussel sprouts
- Apples, the crunchier you find them, the better and the more you will like them. Also, a firm apple is easier to spiralize.
- Brussels sprouts. They are the best and full of benefits; you can use purple Brussel sprouts, green cabbage, or substitute with any other cabbage. You can use napa cabbage or regular cabbage. The only thing you have to do is to slice it super thin using a mandolin or a very sharp knife.
- Pomegranate. You can use ready to use pomegranate seeds or if you are peeling it yourself, watch this post I have on Instagram so that you don’t make a tremendous mess. It is best to cut the pomegranate into four sections and then remove all the seeds in a bowl of water.
- Dressing. This is a super simple balsamic vinegar, shallot, olive oil vinaigrette. If you like it, you can use it in any other salad, it tastes good with everything.
✎NOTE I was extremely lucky to travel to the apple orchard in Yakima, WA, that grows the apples I made this salad with. It is a magical place and after seeing the whole process, all the love and care that they put in each seed, in each tree, in each fruit … I promise you that each apple bite that I take I appreciate it even more.
Other recipe ideas that you may like:
- Sweet and spicy Brussel Sprouts
- Mulled wine
- Quinoa summer salad with avocado and strawberries
- WINTER SALAD WITH CHIPOTLE-MAPLE DRESSING
- Kale and Brussel sprouts salad with sliced apple and pomegranate seeds
HOW TO MAKE THE APPLE AND CABBAGE SALAD?
- Prepare the dressing in a jar with a lid. It must have a lid so that you can mix and shake vigorously.
- Slice the brussels sprouts in the food processor , a mandolin , or a super sharp knife.
- Run the apples through the spiralizer . If you don’t have one, it doesn’t matter, cut them into thin strips or use small cookie cutters to cut the apple into stars or any other shape.
💡IDEA In this post (zucchini noodles) you will find the step by step of how to use the spiralizer or other ideas on how to cut if you don't have one.
IDEAS TO SERVE THE SALAD
This salad is perfect if you put all the ingredients in a regular salad bowl . But since it is a different salad from me, I like to serve it and present it differently.
- Serve it on a wooden cutting board like the photos.
- Serve individually in soup plates.
- Serve it in jars so you can take it with you for lunch or dinner at the office or a picnic. Add a tablespoon of the dressing to the bottom of a jar, then a layer of shaved sprouts, grated or spiralized apple, and finish with the pomegranate seeds. Before you start eating, you mix everything super well.
Here is the recipe for this apple salad with Brussels sprouts, pomegranate seeds, and balsamic vinegar dressing and I hope you like it as much as I do. Take a photo of your salad when you make it and share it on Instagram or FB. If you are going to make it later Pinterest.
It would also be incredible if you give it 5 stars and/or tell me how it went in the comments section; if you have doubts or ideas, put them there.
Apple salad with brussels sprouts
- 2 apples, thinly sliced or spiralized
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, shaved or shredded
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds of Granada
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Put in a jar all the vinaigrette ingredients. Mix well, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- In a salad bowl add the brussels sprouts, the apples, and the pomegranate seeds. With a spoon, slowly drizzle the vinaigrette on top. Do not add all the dressing; a few drops go a long way.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.