This apple salad with brussels sprouts, pomegranate seeds, and an epic maple-balsamic vinaigrette is delicious, nutritious, and easy to prepare. This salad is perfect as a side dish for the Holidays ( Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner), but I’m pretty sure that you’ll eat it year-round once you try it.
This salad is perfect for the whole family and when you want your children to experience new flavors or eat a good salad and fresh fruits and vegetables.
INGREDIENTS for THE APPLE SALAD with Brussels sprouts
- Apples, the crunchier you find them, the better and the more you will like them. Also, a firm apple is easier to spiralize.
- Brussels sprouts. They are the best and full of benefits; you can use purple Brussels sprouts or green cabbage or substitute them with any other cabbage. You can use napa cabbage or regular cabbage. The only thing you have to do is to slice it super thin using a mandolin or a very sharp knife.
- Pomegranate. You can use ready-to-use pomegranate seeds or if you are peeling it yourself, watch this post I have on Instagram so that you don’t make a tremendous mess. Cut the pomegranate into four sections and then remove all the seeds in a water bowl.
- Dressing. This is a simple balsamic vinegar, shallot, and olive oil vinaigrette. If you like it, you can use it in any other salad; it tastes good with everything.
✎NOTE I was extremely lucky to travel to the apple orchard in Yakima, WA, that grows the apples I made this salad with. It is a magical place and after seeing the whole process, all the love and care that they put in each seed, in each tree, in each fruit … I promise you that each apple bite that I take I appreciate it even more.
Other recipe ideas that you may like:
- Mexican Christmas apple salad
- Roasted brussels sprouts with sweet and spicy sauce
- Sweet and spicy Brussel Sprouts
- Mulled wine
- Quinoa summer salad with avocado and strawberries
- WINTER SALAD WITH CHIPOTLE-MAPLE DRESSING
- Kale and Brussels sprouts salad with sliced apple and pomegranate seeds
HOW TO MAKE THE APPLE AND CABBAGE SALAD?
- Preparing and tossing this salad just before you eat it is best. What I do is I put the other dishes in the oven, and while they are cooking, I start making this salad.
- Prepare the dressing in a jar with a lid. It must have a lid so that you can mix and shake it vigorously.
- Slice the brussels sprouts in the food processor , a mandolin , or a super sharp knife.
- Run the apples through the spiralizer . If you don’t have one, it doesn’t matter; cut them into thin strips or use small cookie cutters to cut the apple into stars or any other shape.
💡IDEA In this post (zucchini noodles) you will find the step by step of how to use the spiralizer or other ideas on how to cut if you don't have one.
Give this apple brussels sprouts salad a twist.
- You can finish it with chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds
- Finish it with crunchy vegan bacon bits
- Or toast some pumpkin seeds in a pan and sprinkle them on top.
- If you want to add more color and flavor, put some orange slices on top of the apple and if you want it to have a bit of a bite, thinly slice a red onion and top the salad with it.
- To add more texture, I would go with sliced grapes.
IDEAS TO SERVE THE SALAD
This salad is perfect if you put all the ingredients in a regular salad bowl . But since it is a different salad from mine, I like to serve it and present it differently.
- Serve it on a wooden cutting board like the photos.
- Serve individually on soup plates.
- Serve it in jars so you can take it with you for lunch or dinner at the office or a picnic. Add a tablespoon of the dressing to the bottom of a jar, then a layer of shaved sprouts, grated or spiralized apple, and finish with the pomegranate seeds. Before you start eating, you mix everything super well.
Here is the recipe for this apple salad with Brussels sprouts, pomegranate seeds, and balsamic vinegar dressing, and I hope you like it as much as I do. Please take a photo of your salad when you make it and share it on Instagram or FB if you make it later Pinterest.
It would also be incredible to give it five stars and/or tell me how it went in the comments section; if you have doubts or ideas, put them there.
Apple salad with brussels sprouts
- 2 apples, thinly sliced or spiralized
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, shaved or shredded
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds of Granada
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Put in a jar all the vinaigrette ingredients. Mix well, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- In a salad bowl add the brussels sprouts, the apples, and the pomegranate seeds. With a spoon, slowly drizzle the vinaigrette on top. Do not add all the dressing; a few drops go a long way.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.