This recipe for salsa verde is authentic Mexican, delicious, and filled with health benefits. The perfect combination between the roasted tomatillos and roasted garlic makes this salsa incredibly delicious to finish tacos, quesadillas, or enjoy corn tortilla chips.
Authentic Mexican salsa makes everything better
I grew up eating freshly made salsas in every meal. There were always hand-made tortillas at the center of the table, “queso fresco,” and any Mexican salsa. My favorite recipe has always been this roasted tomatillo, roasted garlic, and serrano pepper recipe.
There are a “million” salsa recipes in Mexico, and the beauty of all is that there is no wrong way to prepare them. For example, a Mexican salsa verde can be made in a raw version, roasted tomatillos, steamed, or boiled ones.
You can cook the cilantro or use fresh cilantro. I mean, there is no wrong way to make it; it will always taste good. Everyone will be happy as long as it is a salsa with that extra little touch of spicy magic.
salsa verde ingredients
- Tomatillos. Use 4 to 6 large tomatillos. If they are on the smaller side use more. To prepare them you need to remove the husk, wash them and pat them dry.
- Garlic cloves. Do not peel them until they are roasted, the skin protects them from burning.
- Serrano chili peppers, if you want it less spicy use jalapeños (jalapeno) seeded.
- Cilantro. Use fresh cilanto with bright green leaves and sprigs.
- Pinch of salt.
How to make homemade salsa verde?
- First step, prep your ingredients. Peel and wash the tomatillos, rinse and roughly chop the cilantro and prep your garlic cloves and chiles.
- Roast the tomatillos, chiles and garlic cloves. You can roast them over the stovetop on a griddle , or place tomatilloas and the rest of the ingredients on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven with the broiler setting. If you don’t want to roast the ingredients you can boil them in a suacepan until soft.
- Pulse or blend depending on your desired consistency that you like with the fresh cilantro and good pinch of salt. Use your blender or a food processor . Also, if you roasted in the oven the tomatillos add their juices to the blender or food procesor container, there is a lot of magic in there.
How to use salsa verde?
This tomatillo salsa verde recipe (green salsa) is easy to prepare and has many different uses. You could use it as a base for a green posole (pozole Verde), green Mexican enchiladas, a simple guacamole taco, and a big spoonful of it, or serve it with chips as an appetizer or snack.
benefits of making homemade Mexican salsa verde
One of the benefits of making your batch of this Mexican salsa at home is that we eat tons of antioxidants, vitamins, and good stuff for our body without even noticing. YES! This roasted tomatillo salsa verde is also very nutritious for you! Another reason to enjoy it.
✎Note •Did you know that cilantro helps our body get rid of heavy metals in our bodies? This recipe is also nutrient dense and very low on calories. •You can add a bit of lime juice to it if you feel it needs a bit of brightness. •Important note: tomatillos are not green tomatoes.
Frequently asked questions
- DON’T FOLLOW MY EXACT RECIPE. Use my recipe as a guide. Taste while making it and make adjustments until it tastes good to you. Make this recipe your own.
- How to roast the tomatillos? Roast the tomatillos until they change color. When they char, they turn into a lighter green. They also turn soft to the touch.
- How to roast the garlic? Leave the peel ( the paper-like peel around the clove) on the garlic cloves. This will protect them from getting burned. Garlic, when burned, turns bitter, and we don’t want that.
- How much cilantro should I use? Use the whole bunch of cilantro, leaves, and stems. In the stems is where all of the flavor and magic are. Just remove the roots.
- How to store salsa verde? Store it the fridge in a jar tightly closed, it will last upto a week. You can freeze the salsa but it is very important you adjust the seasoning before serving.
- Can you double the recipe? YES! Double this recipe and use it for soup (a green posole will be great), for enchiladas, to season refried beans, or any other Mexican food you have in mind.
- Give it a twist and add white onion or add diced avocado to it and serve with organic corn chips. This becomes the perfect after-school snack.
- Mexican recipes to finish with this salsa. This dishes will be GREAT with a spoonful of salsa verde :
Other recipes that you may like
So here is the recipe for this AMAZING and HEALTHY authentic Mexican salsa verde, and I hope you like it as much as I do. Do you follow me on Pinterest? If you do, please share the blog and upload a picture of your salsa on Instagram so we can all see it. I would love to see you over there as well.
It would be incredible if you rate this recipe with five stars and leave your comments, questions, suggestions, or requests in the comment section. I love hearing from you 😉.
Authentic Mexican salsa verde
- 4-5 tomatillos
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2-3 serrano chili peppers
- a bunch of cilantro
- pinch of salt
To make it in the oven.
- Roast the tomatillos, garlic cloves, and serrano peppers in the oven at 350ºF until golden brown.
- Then put them in the blender with a big pinch of salt and cilantro. Taste for seasoning, adjust if necessary.
To prepare on the stove.
- Roast the tomatillos, the serrano chile peppers and garlic on a pan or skillet.
- Blend the cooked tomatillos, serrano pepper, garlic cloves with the fresh cilantro and the salt. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.