This recipe for salsa verde is a Mexican authentic, delicious, and filled with health benefits. It is true, let me tell you why.
I grew up eating freshly made salsas in every meal. At the center of the table, there were always hand made tortillas, “queso fresco” and any type of Mexican salsa.
Salsa makes everything better right? My favorite recipe has always been this roasted tomatillo, roasted garlic, and serrano pepper recipe. I really do not mind if it is cooked, roasted, or all raw ingredients. I mean as long as it is salsa verde and I have the extra little touch of spicy magic in every dish I ‘m happy.
How to use salsa verde?
This recipe is so easy to prepare and it has a “million and one” different uses. You could use it as a base for a
- green pozole (pozole verde)
- green Mexican enchiladas
- or a corn tortilla taco with guacamole and a big spoonful of it
- or just serve it with chips as an appetizer or snack.
One of the benefits of making your batch of this Mexican salsa at home is that without even noticing, we are eating tons of antioxidants, vitamins, and good stuff for our body. YES! This roasted tomatillo salsa verde is also good for you! Another reason to enjoy it.
Did you know that cilantro helps our body get rid of heavy metals in our bodies? This is another reason for us to eat freshly made Mexican food, don’t you think?
Tips, tricks & other recipes:
- Use my recipe as a guide. Taste while making it and make adjustments until it tastes good to you.
- Roast the tomatillos until they change color when they char they turn into a lighter green.
- Remember to leave the peel on the garlic cloves. This will protect them from getting burned.
- Use the whole bunch of cilantro, leaves, and stems. In the stems is where all of the flavors are.
- Double this recipe and use it as for soup (a green posole will be great), for enchiladas, to season refried beans, or any other Mexican food you have in mind.
- If you add a diced avocado to it and serve with organic corn chips this becomes the perfect after school snack.
- Here are some recipes that will taste GREAT with a spoonful :
So here is the recipe for this AMAZING and HEALTHY
and I hope you like it as much as I do. If you do please share the blog, the recipe and upload a picture of in on Instagram with @piloncilloyvainilla so I can see it. Do you follow me on Pinterest? I would love to see you over there as well.
It would be incredible if you rate the recipe and /or leave your comments, questions, suggestions, or requests in the comment section. I love hearing from you, 😉.
Mexican salsa verde
- 4-5 tomatillos
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2-3 serrano chili peppers
- a bunch of cilantro
- pinch of salt
To make it in the oven.
- Roast the tomatillos, garlic cloves, and serrano peppers in the oven at 350ºF until golden brown. Then put them in the blender with a big pinch of salt and cilantro.
- Taste for seasoning, adjust if necessary.
To prepare on the stove.
- Roast the tomatillos, the serrano chile peppers and garlic on a pan or skillet.
- Blend the cooked tomatillos, serrano pepper, garlic cloves with the fresh cilantro and the salt. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.