This recipe for salsa verde is a Mexican authentic, delicious, and filled with health benefits salsa. The perfect combination between the roasted tomatillos and roasted garlic make this salsa incredibly delicious to finish tacos, quesadillas, or enjoy with corn tortilla chips.
I grew up eating freshly made salsas in every meal. At the center of the table, there were always hand made tortillas, “queso fresco” and any type of Mexican salsa.
Authentic Mexican salsa makes everything better right? My favorite recipe has always been this roasted tomatillo, roasted garlic, and serrano pepper recipe.
But there are a million salsa recipes out there, and the beauty of all is that there is no wrong way to prepare them. For example, a Mexican salsa verde can be made with: raw tomatillos, roasted tomatillos, steamed, or boiled ones. You can cook the cilantro or use fresh cilantro. I mean there is no wrong way to make it, it will always taste good.
I mean as long as it is salsa verde and I have the extra little touch of spicy magic in every dish I ‘m happy.
How to use salsa verde?
This tomatillo salsa recipe is so easy to prepare and it has a “million and one” different uses. You could use it as a base for a
- green posole (pozole verde)
- green Mexican enchiladas
- or a corn tortilla taco with guacamole and a big spoonful of it
- or just serve it with chips as an appetizer or snack.
benefits of making homemade Mexican salsa verde
One of the benefits of making your batch of this Mexican salsa at home is that without even noticing, we are eating tons of antioxidants, vitamins, and good stuff for our body. YES! This roasted tomatillo salsa verde is also good for you! Another reason to enjoy it.
✎TIP Did you know that cilantro helps our body get rid of heavy metals in our bodies? This is another reason for us to eat freshly made Mexican food, don't you think?
Tips, tricks & other recipes:
- DON’T FOLLOW MY EXACT RECIPE. Use my recipe as a guide. Taste while making it and make adjustments until it tastes good to you. Make this recipe your own.
- How to roast the tomatillos? Roast the tomatillos until they change color when they char they turn into a lighter green. They also turn soft to the touch.
- How to roast the garlic? Leave the peel ( the paper-like peel around the clove) on the garlic cloves. This will protect them from getting burned. Garlic, when burned, turns bitter, and we don’t want that.
- How much cilantro should I use? Use the whole bunch of cilantro, leaves, and stems. In the stems is where all of the flavor and magic is. Just remove the roots.
- Can you double the recipe? YES! Double this recipe and use it as for soup (a green posole will be great), for enchiladas, to season refried beans, or any other Mexican food you have in mind.
- Give it a twist. Add a diced avocado to it and serve with organic corn chips this becomes the perfect after school snack.
- Mexican recipes to finish with this salsa. This will be GREAT with a spoonful of salsa verde :
So here is the recipe for this AMAZING and HEALTHY
authentic Mexican salsa verde
and I hope you like it as much as I do. If you do please share the blog, the recipe and upload a picture of in on Instagram with @piloncilloyvainilla so I can see it. Do you follow me on Pinterest? I would love to see you over there as well.
It would be incredible if you rate this recipe with 5 stars and /or leave your comments, questions, suggestions, or requests in the comment section. I love hearing from you, 😉.
Authentic Mexican salsa verde
- 4-5 tomatillos
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2-3 serrano chili peppers
- a bunch of cilantro
- pinch of salt
To make it in the oven.
- Roast the tomatillos, garlic cloves, and serrano peppers in the oven at 350ºF until golden brown.
- Then put them in the blender with a big pinch of salt and cilantro. Taste for seasoning, adjust if necessary.
To prepare on the stove.
- Roast the tomatillos, the serrano chile peppers and garlic on a pan or skillet.
- Blend the cooked tomatillos, serrano pepper, garlic cloves with the fresh cilantro and the salt. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.