Eggplant is one of the vegetables I tried as a grown up. And even though I wanted to try it, I always got intimidated by its form and size. When I saw those giant purple balloons at the grocery store I usually ran away from them.
One day, I was brave enough to try it and fell in love immediately. This vegetarian dip is to die for. It is easy, and flavorful and if you like hummus you’ll love this option. The only trick is roast super well the eggplant.
I have a toaster oven, a very simple one, but very good. I usually use this to roast garlic or one vegetable. I feel bad to turn on a whole oven for only an eggplant. But if you do not have one, you could roast it on a gas stove, on a pan or even on a grill.
Here is the recipe and hope you like it, and if you do, please share.
- 1 medium / large eggplant to give you a cup of cooked flesh
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 lemon the juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- * chopped parsley for serving optional
- In the oven, stove or toaster oven roast eggplant. Keep turning to roast it evenly.
- When thoroughly roasted and browned everywhere. Cut it in half and scoop out the flesh and put it in the bowl of a food processor or blender.
- Add olive oil, salt, tahini and lemon juice.
- Pulse well until all ingredients are well combined.
- Put it in a bowl, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with pita chips or melbas.