Don’t you love it when you bake something, and your whole house smells delicious? And more so when the recipe you are baking has cinnamon? For me, the smell of apple and cinnamon transports me to a state of total happiness; it gives me peace. These baked apple and cinnamon doughnuts are on my list of favorite recipes because of how easy they are to make and how delicious my house smells when I make them.
I remember that when I was a child, my dad’s aunt used to make donuts at home. I have the memory of the giant pot of oil and her cutting and preparing the donuts how I loved her donuts! But I also remember it her forever to make them.
That is why little by little I have been developing several easy and 100% vegan donut recipes. Recipes that you can make in a short time and that also fill that little sweet tooth craving that from time to time attacks us. 😉
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE baked APPLE and cinnamon DOughNUTS
- Flour. For these donuts, you can use whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour. If you use whole wheat flour, the consistency of the donuts will be a little heavier and the flavor nuttier.
- Apple sauce. You can use store-bought applesauce or homemade applesauce.
- Vegetable milk. You can use any vegetable milk that you like, most of the work. I love making my nut and grains milk at home and I usually like to use almond milk or oat milk.
- Apple cider vinegar , maple syrup (you can use agave), vegetable oil (I use avocado).
- Baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
💥TIP: How to make applesauce at home? Do not throw away over ripe apples, or that have brown spots or maybe even bad parts. These apples are perfect to make apple sauce. 1. Remove everything that is not good, the stem, the core and seeds. 2. Put them in a pot and cover them with water. Leave over medium heat until the apples are soft. 3. Drain the apples and mash with a fork. Put the apple puree in jars and store in the refrigerator when at room temperature.
What is in the donut topping?
- Diced apples, any type of apple will work here but I like crunchy apples.
- Chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts, what you have on hand.
- Sugar, brown sugar is best.
- Cinnamon, ground cinnamon. Normally I use Mexican cinnamon or Ceylon cinnamon.
- Pinch of ground cloves
When they come out of the oven, let them cool, sprinkle them with powdered sugar, and….. that’s it. A delicious baked good, a delicious healthy-ish baked doughnut!!!!
These donuts are really a delight and when you make them you will see how everything smells delicious and they are perfect. Accompany these donuts with a coffee with milk, a golden milk, a horchata or a matcha latte.
Have a cup of tea or a cup of coffee with this vegan baked doughnuts. This combo is perfect for cold, and windy days. Here is the recipe for this baked apple and cinnamon doughnuts. And, if you like it, please share the recipe and the blog. I would love to see your pics on Instagram or Pinterest.
Other recipes that you may like.
Baked apple and cinnamon doughnuts
- Donut pan
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure the milk and add the vinegar.
- In a large bowl mix the powders. Add the applesauce, milk, vinegar, maple syrup and the two tablespoons of oil.
- Mix well and put the mixture in doughnut baking pan. (If you do not have one use one of cupcakes donuts). Do not fill the molds to the top, leave space for the topping.
- In a small bowl, mix the chopped apple, chopped walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and clove.
- Add the topping to each doughnut, about a heaping tablespoon, and press it down a bit.
- Place in the oven for about 20 minutes or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.