This recipe for baked apple and cinnamon doughnuts is the perfect recipe for fall.
I have never been a huge fan of fried food; I just do not like it. It does not matter if it is sweet or savory, it is just not my thing. But I do remember my dad’s aunt, when I was super young, making doughnuts the traditional way, with yeast and a huge pot full with bubbling oil. These doughnuts had a lot of texture and flavor.
The batter had yeast, and she let it rise for hours. They were delicious! I loved them even though she fried them. They had nothing to do with the doughnuts fast food restaurants offer. That kind of doughnuts is just sugar and oil. Don’t you think? OMG! I think I just killed your craving, well if you had one.
My dad’s aunt doughnuts had texture and body. If she saw my version of doughnuts, I do not know what she would say about them. Probably she would have a saying on the baking part of it. But I’m pretty sure she would love the flavor.
These doughnuts are made with apple puree and whole wheat flour. They do not have yeast. Even though I love yeast bread, my life is kind of crazy right now to be waiting for the dough to rise. If you do not have a doughnut pan, just bake them in a muffin pan.
When they come out of the oven, let them cool, sprinkle them with powdered sugar, and….. that’s it. A delicious baked good, a delicious healthy-ish baked doughnut!!!!
Have a cup of tea or a cup of coffee with this vegan baked doughnuts. This combo is perfect for cold, and windy days. Here is the recipe for this
baked apple and cinnamon doughnuts.
Baked apple and cinnamon doughnuts
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure the milk and add the vinegar.
- In a large bowl mix the powders. Add the applesauce, milk, vinegar, maple syrup and the two tablespoons of oil.
- Mix well and put the mixture in doughnut baking pan. (If you do not have one use one of cupcakes donuts). Do not fill the molds to the top, leave space for the topping.
- In a small bowl, mix the chopped apple, chopped walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and clove.
- Add the topping to each doughnut, about a heaping tablespoon, and press it down a bit.
- Place in the oven for about 20 minutes or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.