This vegan potato salad is one of my favorites recipes that I have developed. I love how easy it is to make and the ingredients it has. It is perfect as a side dish for any sandwich, quiche, or tartine, which makes it perfect for a dream dinner or lunch.
WHERE DID I DISCOVER THIS SALAD?
I ate this potato salad at a deli one day between my children’s soccer games. It was a super small restaurant with just sandwiches and salads. When I tried this potato salad I immediately fell in love with it. When I got home I prepared it so that I would not forget those flavors. I decided to call it the best vegan potato salad. Because of the flavor profile of the ingredients and because this salad has olive oil in it and is a potato salad without mayo, you could also call it Italian vegan potato salad.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THE POTATO SALAD FOR PICNIC
- Chopped onion, you can use shallots if you want a milder bite
- Champagne vinegar or any other mild vinegar. If you do not have it, you can add apple cider vinegar , it will be a little stronger but equally delicious.
- Celery, finely chopped and for me, celery is a star in flavor and texture. It gives a perfect crunch to every bite.
- Black olives, if you can’t get black olives, use kalamatas or green olives, they all work. The caselvetrano olives are super delicious and are perfect in this recipe.
- Capers, I love them a total flavor booster.
- Olive oil, use extra virgin olive oil.
- Roughly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
🔥Which potatoes are the best for this salad? The truth is that you can use any type of potato, large or small. Yukon, Russet, fingerlings, red or purple potatoes. Really the one you like the most. The only thing is that the potatoes have to bee cooked throughly, you are not going to leave them until they fall apart, cook them until very soft but they hold their shape. Another important tip is that when you cook the potatoes, do not forget to heavily salt your water. You can also add herbs such as bay leaf or thyme.
How to make the best vegan potato salad?
This salad is completely plant-based and plant-powered and delish. Let me tell you a bit about it. I like to start with minced white onion and a little bit of white wine vinegar. This takes the strong bite of the onion away. Then I add celery, black olives, capers, potatoes and finish it with tons of parsley. Yum right??? And then I finish it with olive oil and salt and pepper. Really, it is easy, delicious, and perfect for every occasion.
IDEAS TO SERVE THE SALAD
This vegan potato salad is great with a grilled vegetable sandwich or to take on a picnic. You can also use it to accompany a hamburger or perhaps as a starter. Really when you try this salad you are going to love it.
Other recipes that you may like:
So here is the recipe for the best vegan potato salad and I hope you like it as much as I do. Please share a picture of your salad on FB orÂ Instagram so I can see it and share it with the rest of this amazing community. Let me know in the comments if you ate it with a sandwichÂ or took it to a party or you just devoured it.
If you have doubts or questions about this recipe, leave them in the comments section, in the same way, if you have suggestions, I would love to hear them.
The best vegan potato salad
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1-2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata or black olives
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil optional
- 2-3 tablespoons of chopped parsley optional
- salt and pepper
- 2 large potatoes cooked and peeled
- Cook the potatoes in salted water until thoroughly cooked.
- In a large bowl add the onion and the vinegar. Set aside.
- When the potato is cooked, roughly chop in bite-size pieces and
- Add it to the bowl with the onion and vinegar.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Test for seasoning and adjust if needed.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.