This black bean soup with masa harina dumplings (chochoyotes) is one of the easiest and most delicious soups you can imagine. It is full of flavor and is one of my family’s favorites.
Each masa dumpling is a flavor moment in your mouth; you have to try it, and you’ll see what I mean.
I confess that I make this soup when I don’t like cooking. This vegan Mexican soup is fast and easy to prepare. And as a Mexican, when I eat good bean soup and vegan black bean soup, I feel happy.
HOW TO MAKE BLACK BEAN SOUP WITH masa harina dumplings?
Making this soup is very easy; it is a matter of cooking or heating the beans from the masa harina dumplings and cooking the masa dumplings. Now, to make it even easier, let me tell you three different ways you can prepare this:
- Using canned beans. If you use canned beans, you have to sautee onion, add the beans, vegetable broth, or water, and then add the masa harina dumplings.
- Using dried beans. Cook the beans as usual. Saute the onions in a small pan and add them to the cooked beans; check your liquid and add more if needed. Add the dumplings, and serve when thoroughly cooked.
- Using beans cooked at home. This way of making soup is similar to when you use canned beans. Sautee the onion first, and add the beans, the liquid, and the dumplings.
HOW TO MAKE THE masa harina dumplings?
Dumplings are so easy to prepare. To flavor them, you must mix the masa harina with a bit of salt, oil, and some extra magic ingredients. I used minced mint and serrano chili pepper to add extra deliciousness to this soup.
And I know it might look a bit complicated, but it is super easy to prepare, and masa harina is so easy to work with that it is fun.
✎TIP • The consistency of the masa harina should be like playdough so that the masa harina balls hold when cooked in the broth.• This is a super good activity for the children. It is excellent to get them started in the kitchen and to start cooking with us. Just remember that the dough has chili, and it can burn a bit if they touch their face or eyes.• I like to make small dumplings; I think that all the ingredients have similar sizes; each bite will be better. •It is important to make all the dumplings first and then add to the soup at the same time. What we want is for them to be cooked at the same time. •I make these Mexican dumplings with mint and serrano peppers, but you can make them with jalapeño and cilantro or any other combination that you like. What's important is to add flavor to the mix, along with the beans and sautee onion, this is what will give an explosion of flavor to each bite you take.
✨If you are going to cook beans from the beginning, make twice as much, so with one part, you can make this bean soup with masa harina dumplings, and with the other part, recipes like this:
Black bean soup with masa harina dumplings
- Soup pot
- 1½ cups dried beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup masa harina corn flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon mint chopped
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾-1 cup warm water
- Rinse beans in filtered water and put them in a large pot with 6 cups of water. Let them cook for about two hours or until the beans are soft.
- Meanwhile In a bowl mix the masa harina with a tablespoon of oil, the mint, the serrano chile, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 3/4 cup of water. Add water gradually until a manageable dough is formed. Make the dumplings.
- In a separate pan add the tablespoon of oil and the chopped onions with half a teaspoon of salt. Sautee the onion for about five to seven minutes.
- Add the cooked onions and all the dumplings to the beans. Cover and let them cook for 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning before serving, adjust if necessary.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.