This black bean tomato soup is super healthy, 100% vegan recipe, and is the quickest one I’ve written here on my blog.
Today was one of those days that I don’t know how, but time just slipped away, and suddenly when I looked at the clock it was already 1:00. Normally, I am super organized and have planned out what to write on my blog, but today I got distracted, but then inspired to cook this bean and tomato soup. This black bean tomato soup is so delicious and easy to make that while I tasted it, I thought it was the perfect post for today.
This recipe is absolutely ideal for when you are in a hurry, or you want something delicious and filling, or when you want to cook only one dish that has everything or have to make use of old tomatoes in the fridge. This mouthwatering Mexican soup will also be stellar on a cold winter day.
Tips, tricks & other recipes:
- This recipe is very good made with home-cooked beans or even canned beans.
- I love to use fresh tomatoes but canned fire-roasted tomatoes will work as good as fresh ones. Same as the tortilla stips, if you don’t have time to make them, use store-bought ones.
- Here is the recipe for Mexican crema, I make my own.
- Here are other soup recipes that I think you will also enjoy: Mexican lentil soup, vegetable soup, vegan broccoli soup, and healthy zucchini soup.
You begin by roasting tomato, onion, and garlic…then the beans, and the secret ingredients (I made a video and will post it later) which are oregano and spearmint. (You could also use cilantro instead of the spearmint or ever dried spearmint or peppermint work well also). These herbs change the soup’s flavor most delightfully, and it’s turned into a delicacy when you garnish it with tortilla strips, avocado, cream, (I use cashew cream) and ancho peppers.
Here is the recipe
BLACK BEAN TOMATO SOUP
Save it on Pinterest if you wanna cook it later.
Please if you have any suggestions or can think of other recipes you would like to see here please leave a comment in the comment section. I love to see what you think.
Black bean tomato soup
- 4 corn tortillas cut into strips
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of oil or spray oil
- 4 small tomatoes
- 1/4 small onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 cups of black beans or two cans beans and liquid
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of oregano
- 1/4 tsp of mint or spearmint
- 1 sliced avocado
- cashew cream or plain yogurt
- 1 dry ancho Chile thinly sliced
Backed tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the tortillas into strips, brush or spray a little oil to coat them. Put some salt on them and put them in the oven for 10- 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take them out of the oven and put aside until you are ready to use them.
Black bean soup
- Put a big pot on the stove and pour a tbsp of water in. Put the tomatoes and onion in the pan until they look well roasted throughout. It will take about 5 to 7 min on each side. Put in the garlic when the tomatoes are almost ready.
- Put in the beans and let it simmer until it boils for about 10 min. Blend everything very well and return to the pot. Add in the oregano and peppermint and the salt. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
- If the soup is too thick put in a 1/4 cup of water or vegetable broth, mix in taste and repeat if necessary.
- Put the soup in a bowl and garnish with tortilla chips, pieces of avocado, cashew cream and ancho chile.