This vegan instant pot bean soup with kale and a Mexican profile flavor is delicous and very nourishing. It is also perfect for days you are really busy.
Why will you like this beans soup in instant pot?
This black bean soup is everything you want in a soup. It is nourishing, it has that umami flavor that makes you want to eat it all.
It is just amazing! But what I love more about it is that when I come home from soccer practice or driving, the kids around dinner is ready. I add all the ingridients to the instant pot, set it and forget about dinner. It is so easy.
Ingredients for the vegan instant pot black bean soup
- Oil, you can use it or skip it. If you decide to use it, use neutral-tasting oil, like avocado or safflower.
- Onion, chopped or sliced onion works well in this recipe.
- Tomatoes, this recipe is perfect for using over-ripe tomatoes. You could also use canned tomatoes or homemade tomato sauce.
- Cumin, coriander, and garlic powder, you can use the whole seed or ground spices.
- Black beans, there is no need to soak them. Use pinto beans, or any other bean.
- Water or vegetable stock.
- Kale & corn kernels, fresh or frozen.
How to make this vegan black bean soup?
- Instant-pot method: Turn on the Insta on the sauté function and add the oil and the chopped onion. Let it saute for three minutes, add the tomatoes, the spices, the salt, and the black beans. Add water and cover, set the instant pot on high pressure for 40 minutes. When the beans are soft and fully cooked add the corn and the kale. The kale will wilt with the heat of the soup.
- Crockpot, add your ingredients and set it up for 4 hours on high or until beans are cooked. If your crockpot has the sauté function sauté the onion and spices before. When the beans are soft and fully cooked add the corn and the kale. The kale will wilt with the heat of the soup.
- Stove. To prepare this vegan black bean soup on the stove, add the oil and sauté the aromatics and spices, then ad the rest of the ingredients and cook until the black beans are soft. When the beans are soft and fully cooked add the corn and the kale. The kale will wilt with the heat of the soup.
🔥Do not forget to move the knob on the lid to the sealed position.
How to give this soup a twist?
- If you want to make this soup even faster, use canned beans and make it over the stove
- Add a teaspoon of chipotle peppers to make it spicy and smokey. Or any other dried Mexican chile, like chile ancho or chile guajillo.
- Add spinach if you don’t have kale or even use beet greens or collard greens.
- Use fresh or frozen corn.
- Add some salsa verde to make it even more flavorful.
Do you recommend buying the instant pot?
The Instant- Pot has been a game-changer for me. I can not recommend it; enough, it is a kitchen gadget that is totally worth buying. But if you don’t have it, do not worry; you can also make this black bean vegan soup on the stove.
Best toppings for the kale and black bean soup
How to store the vegan black bean soup
This soup will last up to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container. this black bean soup freezes well; you can freeze it as a whole or in individual portions.
Other recipes that you may like:
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Black bean soup with kale and corn
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 medium roughly chopped tomatoes or pulsed in a food processor
- 1 teaspoon cumin grounded
- 1 teaspoon coriander grounded
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups black beans soaked or not soaked
- 4 cups water
- 4 large handfuls of chopped kale
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Scallions chopped
- Chopped cilantro
- Cream or yogurt I use cashews cream and yogurt
- Turn on the Instant pot on the sauté function, add the oil and the chopped onion. Let it saute for three minutes, add the tomatoes, the spices, the salt and the black beans. Add water and cover. If you use the Instapot do not forget to move the sealing knob on the lid. Set the intstant pot on high pressure for 40 minutes.
- When the beans are soft and fully cooked, add the corn and the kale. The kale will wilt with the heat of the soup.
- Top each bowl of soup with your favorite toppings.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.