My favorite broccoli soup with spinach, cilantro, and croutons… can’t beat this broccoli soup.
I have to confess that I was not a soup lover growing up and there was always soup for lunch or dinner. For me, the worst ones were the ones, which had some broth in them. I could manage the creams but the broths….never!!! When I started cooking for myself, that story changed… I became a soup lover!!!!Especially when I can top my soups with croutons and crunchy toppings. Croutons are so easy to mak and so delicious that you have to be careful not to become obsessed with them.
This soup is super easy to make, and it is full of good things for our body. It is full of vitamins and minerals that will begin to protect us from the cold weather. Yesssss, broccoli also has vitamin C, and spinach and cilantro are super powerful greens. This is one of the greenest soups I prepare.
The only thing, about this soup, that I have to be careful is… I CAN NEVER TAKE MY EYES OFF THE CRUTONS. In my family, everybody loves croutons and they suddenly disappear if I do not pay attention. I prepare them with delicious baguette bread, and if I find whole wheat better. If you do not want to make the croutons you could serve this soup with roasted nuts or roasted chickpas.
But the croutons….when they come out of the oven, hot and yummy, I finish them with chopped cilantro and lemon zest. They are really to die for, and best when combined with the soup. I usually prepare two batches of croutons, I like to save some for extra for leftover vegan soup or a loaded
Tips, tricks & other recipes:
- If you don’t like croutons, serve this soup with roasted chickpeas, roasted veggies or lentils.
- Also, feel free to substitute the spinach with kale, arugula or other green.
- When making the croutons, be sure to cover the garlic pieces with the bread. You don’t want them to burn.
- I like to add cilantro to them but any fresh herb will do. They taste delicious with parsley, basil or dill.
- Here are other recipes for soups: Mexican lentil soup, Powerful detox soup, potato soup, split pea soup
So here is the recipe for this amazing
broccoli soup with spinach, cilantro, and croutons
Broccoli soup with spinach, cilantro and croutons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound broccoli
- 2 cups spinach tightly fitted
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- freshly ground black pepper.
- 4 cups bread, cubed baguette or ciabatta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- zest of one lemon
- In a pan put olive oil and onion over medium heat. Leave for about 10 minutes or until the onion is translucent/.
- Add garlic and a teaspoon of salt for about 5 minutes. Be careful that the garlic does not burn.
- Add broccoli and spinach along with the liquid you will use. Cover it and let until the broccoli is completely cooked.
- While the vegetables are cooking, dice the bread. In a large bowl, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, two cloves of minced garlic and half a teaspoon of salt. Mix and add the bread to be covered well with this mixture. Put the bread cubes on a baking sheet prepared with a silicone mat or a piece of parchment paper. Be careful that the pieces of garlic are covered by the bread.
- Put in the oven for 15 minutes or when you see the edges of the bread begins to brown.
- Take them out of the oven and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and a teaspoon of lemon zest.
- Check the vegetables and add ¼ cup of cilantro and black pepper. Blend in a food processor or blender until smooth. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve in soup bowls and top with croutons.