In this post, you’ll find my method for cooking brown rice and a simple tip that makes everybody love it.
This is the most delicious way I’ve found to make brown rice so everyone at home likes it. You can use this tip not only with brown rice but also with whole grain Basmati and Jasmine rice, or other types. Both Basmati and Jasmin rice are a little bit more aromatic and flavorful than the regular long grain brown rice.
The benefits of changing to whole grains rather than using regular white rice, for example, are so many that it is worth to give it a try.
Brown rice has been given a bad reputation because some people say it is too harsh and sticky, but in my experience, it turns out really good. When I started serving it at home I did it in a different way than I did the regular white rice and not as a replacement of the typical white rice.
Experience has taught me that it is better to offer a new dish instead of trying to substitute one thing for another.
For example, I introduced this recipe by telling my kids that it was a new rice recipe cooked with lemon and herbs. They all loved it! This rice can be served with a salad, chickpeas or falafel and a tahini sauce. Yummmmm!
It is very easy to make.
I have tried making this recipe with other herbs, and I can tell you it turns out delicious. Fresh and dried herbs are wonderful to use. They are super flavorful and have amazing benefits. I love using all kinds of herbs!
Here is the recipe for
How to make brown rice so that everyone likes it
- 2 cups of brown rice *any kind
- 4 cups of water
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 / 2 lemon the juice
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon of dill dried or 1 tablespoon if using fresh
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- Add the rice and water to a pot and cover. Bring to a boil over low heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Turn the heat off when very few liquid is left, let it sit covered for about 5 minutes.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, dill, zest, and salt.
- Fluff with a fork with care not to beat it, the idea is to separate it and fluff it. Try and adjust the flavor if necessary. You can leave the rice as it is without dressing. You can put only the lemon and salt, only the oil, etc.