Soups make me feel good, especially during winter and fall. This soup is one of my favorite recipes because it has the best of both worlds, soup, and grilled cheese. I prepared this soup with butternut squash and tomatoes. The acidity of the tomato pairs perfectly well with the sweetness of the butternuts squash. And there is nothing to say about the grilled cheese croutons… they are just amazing!!!
Here is the recipe for this vegan, easy and delicious
butternut squash soup with grilled cheese croutons
I hope you like it and if you do, please share the recipe and blog.
Butternut squash soup with grilled cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion cut into large pieces
- 3 cups diced butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 dried chili * optional
- 4 tomatoes chopped <g class="gr_ gr_66 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_disable_anim_appear Grammar multiReplace" id="66" data-gr-id="66">in</g> large pieces
- 4 cups water or vegetable stock
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To serve:
- 4 slices of bread
- 1/2 cup grated vegan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- Chopped fresh basil
- olive oil
- In a large pot add the olive oil to heat, add the onion, <g class="gr_ gr_78 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_disable_anim_appear Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep gr-progress" id="78" data-gr-id="78">garlic</g> and squash. Leave on <g class="gr_ gr_62 gr-alert gr_spell gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="62" data-gr-id="62">medium high</g> heat until vegetables are browned.
- Add the salt, oregano, and dried chili and give it a few turns until the oregano releases its odor, about three minutes.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Add the water or vegetable stock, remove the chili if you do not want to chop the soup a lot, cover and leave for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are super soft.
- Put it in the blender and blend until the soup is creamy. Return to the pot and make the sandwiches.
- In a small skillet, add 1 teaspoon of oil and two slices of bread. Divide the cheese into each and cover with another slice of bread. Turn the pan over medium heat until the bread is browned and the cheese is melted. Turn and let it brown on the other side. Cut each sandwich into cubes.
- Serve the soup in a bowl and drizzle a bit of olive oil, chopped basil and a few squares of grilled cheese.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.