I`m so happy it is time for soups, delicious, hearty and vegan soups. This is the best carrot, tomato and red lentil soup you could ever eat.??? And do you know what it is also amazing about this recipe?
That is is an amazing way to use all the pulp that is left behind when juicing. YEAP! I use the pulp, we are five people that take juices around here. So, you can imagine the amount of pulp I throw away! So, I ‘ve been searching for ways to use the pulp and this is one of them.
If you do not do juicing, it is ok, just use carrots. I find juicing an amazing way to fill our body with tons of vitamins and minerals, but I know it can get expensive.
Here is the recipe, if you like it please share. And do not forget to tell me how it went, did you liked it, did you used the pulp from your carrot juice or did you used carrots?
Carrot and tomato soup with red lentils and coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 cups grated carrot pulp or measure it loose, not tight
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 can coconut milk
- a good pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To serve:
- lemon juice
- chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large pot add the coconut oil and onion. When the onion is translucent add the garlic, a pinch of salt and spices.
- Leave for about 5 minutes or until garlic and spices release their aroma. Be careful not to burn anything.
- Add carrot, tomato puree, 4 cups of water and cup of lentils. Stir and left covered for 15-20 min. until lentils are tender.
- Add the can of coconut milk and blend in a food processor or blender. Add more water if you feel that the soup is too thick.
- Adjust salt and add pepper.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, lime juice and if you like pique, put chili powder dry.