This recipe for chickpea salad sandwich is delicious, easy to prepre, healthy and will taste good with canned, jarred or home cooked chickpeas.
I think that one of the biggest problems we all have is that we don’t give ourselves enough time to cook. I include myself on the list because there are times when I completely lose track of time. Others, things don’t go as planned and I have to put dinner on the table in no time at all.
That is why this chickpea salad is the best, it is the perfect salad that you can eat in a sandwich, with crackers or on top of greens. Don’t you love these kinds of chickpea salad recipes that you can make in no time at all?
A pantry salad is one of the fastest dinners or meals in the world, and best of all, it is full of nutrients and good things for us.
How to prepare the chickpeas for the salad?
To make this salad full of plant-based protein, you just need to put all the ingredients in a bowl. But, don’t forget to drain and pat dry the chickpeas with a paper towel or you can line a bowl with paper towels.
After this mash, the chickpeas a little, add the rest of the ingredients and you’re done.
✎ It is best if you squash the chickpeas a little with the back of a spoon or with a bean masher. It is good that they are textured but not completely whole. If you leave them whole they can fly off the sandwich at the first bite, and we don't want that. 😉
Tips, tricks & other recipes
- I love to use whole wheat and whole grains bread for my sandwiches. I love a good loaf of bread with nuts and seeds. This chickpea recipe salad is perfect for any type of bread.
- I prepare my own mayo at home with aquafaba. The storebought vegan mayonnaise that I use is Vegenaise.
- As you know, I love to chop everything by hand, but if you are in a hurry, you can use your food processor . Add the carrot first and pulse it several times until it is chopped into small pieces. Do the same with the onion, and then the chickpeas. Pulse until you have everything chopped, but be careful that it does not become a chickpea paste.
- You can make this chickpea recipe with canned chickpeas or chickpeas cooked at home. With both of them, this chickpea salad is delicious.
- When I cook chickpeas at home, I always cook more than I need. I keep the extra ones in tightly closed jars in the refrigerator or in freezer bags in the freezer.
- Here are other chickpea recipes that I love: Roasted chickpeas with chipotle, vegan tuna salad without tuna, chickpea and cauliflower curry.
So here is the recipe for this
chickpea salad sandwich
Chickpea salad sandwich
- 2 cans of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise or any other mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 small carrots diced
- 2 tablespoons dill finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- pinch of sea salt
- Bread for making sandwiches
- one or two fists of a mix of green leaves for the sandwich* optional
- pickled jalapeños * optional
- In a large bowl, put the chickpeas (without the liquid) and mash them as much as you can until you get a texture that you like.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Test for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Make the sandwiches and you’re done.