These chipotle bbq mushroom sliders will soon become one of your favorite meals. The chipotle bbq sauce is homemade and perfect for this or any other dish making each bite of this vegan slider heavenly.
What makes a good pulled BBQ mushroom slider?
- BBQ sauce. I make my bbq sauce from scratch. This way I can control the quality of the ingredients I am using, and the freshness of the spices. I can also adjust the tanginess, the sweetness and the spicineness of the sauce.
- Mushrooms. Choose the best mushrooms you can find. I use oyster mushrooms for this recipe because I love the way they shredd and hold their shape when cooked. But in a pinch you could use portobello mushrooms or white mushroom caps.
ingredients for the homemade BBQ Sauce
- tomato paste, I prefer to use tomto paste over ketchup or tomato puree because of the umaminess the tomato paste gives to the sauce.
- apple cider vinegar , if you don’t have apple cider vinegar you can sustitue with white vinegar.
- brown sugar, I love the deep flavor notes of the browm sguar, it complements a big way the smokiness of the chipotle powder.
- garlic powder, make sure it is garlic powder and not garlic salt.
- chipotle powder, if you don’t like spicy food you can omit this or substitutue with a milder chile like chile ancho.
- onion powder, same as with the garlic powder, make sure it is onion powder and not onion salt.
- ground mustard
- smoked paprika
How to make the homemade BBQ Sauce?
To make the bbq sauce, I start by mixing in a bowl the tomato paste, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar as a base. From there, I started adding the fun part, the spices, and aromatics. I added ground mustard seed, chipotle powder, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder.
So easy, you just mix the ingredients and put them in a saucer over medium heat until it has reduced just a little and you have the perfect, spicy, tangy, and delicious homemade bbq sauce for the best bbq mushroom sliders.
How to cook oyster mushrooms?
Probably you are thinking about how to cook oyster mushrooms? Believe me, is so easy, you will be hooked with them. I use oyster mushrooms for a lot of dishes. My favorite ones are pozole ( an authentic Mexican soup) and Vegan birria tacos.
- Start by shredding the oyster mushrooms. They are very easy to shredd, just pull them apart using your hands, make them as big or thin as you like.
- Add them to a very hot pan with a little bit of vegetable oil or olive oil. Let them brown a bit before anything else.
- When most of the oyster mushrooms have at least one of its sides browned add sliced garlic and a big pinch of salt. From there you just let them brown completely. So easy right?
Putting it all together
The beauty of this recipe is that it all comes together quite fast and at the same time. So when the chipotle bbq sauce has reduced and the mushrooms are cooked you just pour part of the sauce over the mushrooms and voilá…. a delicious vegan pulled mushroom bbq situation for the sliders.
Heat the slider buns in the oven, on the grill, or on the stove on a griddle . over medium-high heat. Then you just have to prepare the red cabbage slaw with chipotle vegan mayo and put together the sandwiches. So easy right?
Give this recipe a twist
- Add a slice of vegan swiss cheese to the slider
- Prepare them as veggie burgers with burger buns, some ketchup, raw onion and pickles.
- If you follow a gluten-free diet, serve the bbq mushrooms with the colslaw salad on the side, or you could stuff a potato or sweet potato.
Other recipes that you may like
TIPS TRICKS & OTHER RECIPES
In this list, you will find the best tips and tricks to prepare the best bbq mushroom sliders ever.
- This recipe for homemade bbq sauce makes more than what you need for the sliders, which is perfect because now you have a good and spicy bbq sauce for future use.
- It is important that you really use a hot pan to cook the mushrooms. You want to seal the moisture out. Mushrooms have a lot of liquid, so it is better to salt them halfway than at the beginning.
- Sauce the mushrooms until the pan is completely dry and add the chipotle bbq sauce slowly.
- Do not prepare these chipotle bbq mushroom sliders until the very moment you will eat them. As any slider, they can turn a bit soggy.
- If you can’t find oyster mushrooms, substitute them with jackfruit or cooked green lentils.
Leave me you questions or ideas in the comment section, would love to hear from you. It would also be fantastic if you could rate this recipe with 5 stars!
CHIPOTLE BBQ MUSHROOM SLIDERS
Chipotle BBQ sauce
Red cabbage slaw with chipotle dressing
For the sliders
- 4 pretzel buns
- Mix all the ingredients for the chipotle bbq sauce in a saucer and put over medium heat until reduced. About 20-25 minutes.
- On a hot non-stick or cast iron skillet add the 3 tablespoons, make sure it covers the whole surface of the pan. Add the mushrooms and let them brown.
- When the mushrooms have at least one browned side, add the sliced garlic and a pinch of salt. Let the mushrooms brown all around.
- Slowly add the chipotle bbq sauce to the pan with the browned mushrooms. Let the mushrooms absorb the sauce a bit, the sauce will continue to thicken.
- Prepare the slaw by mixing the mayo, the chipotle powder, salt, and vinegar first. Add the sliced red cabbage and mix. Test for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Cut the pretzel sliders by half and toast them for a bit.
- Divide the oyster mushroom mix between the four pretzel sliders, add more chipotle bbq sauce on top. Top the mushroom mix with the red cabbage slaw, some pickles and cilantro leaves. Place the top part of the pretzel slider ontop.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This post was made in collaboration with Mountain Rose Herbs; the pictures, recipe, and opinions are all mine.