This is the only vegan parsley and basil pesto recipe you need, really. With this recipe for vegan pesto you can make anything from pasta for a quick or romantic dinner, a salad, a sandwich, a dip, really, whatever you can think of.
WHAT IS PESTO?
I think it’s important that I tell you that pesto is a method of making a “sauce.” It is called pesto because you use a pestle and mortar. That is why you will always see pestos made with different ingredients. The classic pesto is made with pine nuts, basil, parsley, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil.
But you can make pesto out of many, many things. For example, kale pesto, or pistachio pesto, or a delicious pesto made with almonds. What’s more, you can even make pesto with avocado, which is super rich and is a super good source of vegan fat for our body.
WHY ARE YOU GOING TO LOVE THIS RECIPE?
For me, there is nothing better than fresh herbs; they give an impressive flavor boost to everything, don’t you think? There are some things that you’ll always find in the refrigerator and fresh herbs are one of them. I always have cilantro, parsley, mint, etc. Thus, I can make sauces, dressings, pestos, and finish dishes with them.
This pesto recipe is made with parsley and basil and already has a permanent place in the refrigerator. It has become a staple in my house, along with salsa verde and hummus. These three things are my go-to basics when I can’t think of what to prepare for lunch or dinner.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE VEGAN PESTO
- Basil. Look for fresh basil; remember that we will always end with a good dish if we start with a good ingredient. Use basil leaves that are all green and have no wilted bits. The fresher the basil, the more flavor there is.
- Parsley. You can use Italian parsley or Curly leave parsley; either one works well, use the one you like the most, or you have at home. Like basil, use fresh parsley.
- Garlic. This recipe uses raw garlic.
- Olive oil. Use the best olive oil you can find: cold first extraction, and that comes in a dark glass bottle or can. Check the ingredients and make sure it is pure olive oil or a mixture of several olive trees. What we don’t want is a mixture of vegetable oil and olive oil.
- Pinenuts. If you don’t have pine nuts, you can use any other nut.
HOW TO MAKE vegan PESTO?
It’s as easy as putting the ingredients in a food processor or blender. You could also do it with the traditional method, by hand and using a pestle and mortar. TIPS: It is better to put the herbs first and press pulse to mince in the food processor , then add the salt and garlic. It is better to chop the garlic before adding it roughly. Then add the pine nuts or nut that you are going to use and give it a pulse. Finally, add the olive oil and turn on the food processor or blender at low speed until everything is well integrated—taste before removing from processor and adjust seasoning if necessary.
In this video you can see how easy it is to make vegan basil and parsley pesto?
HOW TO USE THE BASIL AND PARSLEY PESTO?
What I normally do is prepare the basil and parsley pesto and always have it in the refrigerator so I can use it and make super quick meals with it:
- a potato salad
- a sandwich
- in pasta like spaghetti or any other short pasta
- It is also delicious if you use it with zucchini noodles
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PRESERVE THE PESTO OF BASIL AND PARSLEY
Pesto lasts about three weeks in the refrigerator; it is normal for it to get darker on the top layer. Sometimes it works to put a little olive oil on top to prevent oxidation. Always try it before using it; maybe the seasoning needs to be adjusted.
Usually, what I do is prepare pesto beforehand and keep it in the fridge for later. This recipe is super easy and completely vegan; it doesn’t have cheese. It’s funny when people ask me how I make a whole dish when the main ingredient is cheese. This recipe for vegan pesto proves that you can make a meal that only includes ingredients that benefit your health while still holding on to the amazing taste.
Other recipes that you may like:
This recipe for vegan pesto is creamy, healthy, easy, hassle-free, and a crowd-pleaser. Every time I have kids over, I prepare a huge bowl of pasta with pesto. It is so good that now my kids’ friends are asking for it. Funny right? Did I convince you yet? So, are you making it tonight? Any time soon?
Here is the recipe, and if you like it and make it, please share a picture of your creation on Instagram or Fb, or save it for later on Pinterest. I hope you love it and always have it in your fridge. Please let me know in the comment section what you think about it and if you have other recipe suggestions, leave them there as well. Don’t forget to give it five stars.
Classic vegan pesto
- Food processor
- 3 cups basil
- 1 cup parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- big pinch of salt
- 1 pound casarecce or penne or any pasta
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Put the rest of the ingredients in the blender or food processor, blend until well integrated.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Drain the pasta, saving one cup of water.
- Add about three tablespoons of pesto to the pasta a mix carefully, slowly add more until all pasta has pesto. If it is dry add a 1/4 of water were the pasta cooked.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.