This recipe to make cold watermelon soup is easy and delicious. This refreshing and vegan soup is perfect for super hot summer days.
This is one of my favorite cold summer soups, especially because you are done in 15 minutes and it’s one of the most nutritious, delicious and refreshing soups you can make.
It’s like starting your meal with a super powerful juice full of nutrients. This is an absolute perfect soup for days when you can’t stand the heat, and you’d rather not cook.
How to freeze watermelon?
- The best way to freeze watermelon is to peel it, cut into chunks.
- Spread them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put them in the freezer.
- Freeze for a couple of hours or until they are firm.
- Put the chunks in a freezer-safe container or a freezer-safe storage bag.
When I buy a watermelon what I usually do is cut it all up and put some in the fridge and some in the freezer. That way when the kids want something cold-refreshing-delicious I can take it out of the freezer and make a quick sorbet for them.
Also, having frozen watermelon is a lifesaver when I’m completely exhausted from the summer’s heat, and I want to be a little bit lazy…because the “hard” part of cutting up the watermelon is done.
Ingredients for the cold watermelon soup?
This cold watermelon soup is made with tomato, cucumber, garlic, shallots, olive oil, and salt. Doesn’t it sound AMAZING…but the best part is… That you put everything in the blender and you are done!!!
I use frozen watermelon so it’s very cold and add the garlic and shallots in small pieces slowly so it’s not too overpowering.
Watermelon: use ripe and sweet watermelon. I like to use frozen ones because I love my gazpacho very very cold.
Tomatoes: Use any tomato that you have on hand, I like to use cherry tomatoes because they are a bit sweeter and you don’t have to chop them.
Cucumbers: For this recipe I peel my cucumbers even though when they are organic. I like to peel them because the end color of the cold watermelon soup will be prettier. And we first eat with our eyes, don’t you think?
Garlic, shallots, and chili pepper: These ingredients have potent flavors. You want to add them in tiny chunks, blend and taste the watermelon gazpacho. You want to have a slightly spicy flavor, but be careful because these ingredients can easily overpower the rest.
How to finish the cold soup?
I like to garnish the soup with diced avocado, microgreens, and a drizzle of olive oil. You can also serve it with a piece of toast or sliced baguette.
✎TIP This gazpacho tastes better when it’s freshly made so remember to make only the amount you'll eat that day.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
Cold watermelon soup
- 250 grs cherry tomatoes red or yellow
- 1/2 cucumber peeled and cut into pieces
- 3 cups frozen watermelon
- 1 shallot small
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 serrano chili optional
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- a piece of bread optional
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1/4 cup of micro greens or chopped fresh herbs
- Put tomatoes, watermelon, cucumber, garlic and shallot in the blender with olive oil, the chile serrano (if you are going to use) salt and pepper.
- Blend until everything is well integrated, taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary. If you want the cold watermelon soup with a bit more body, add the piece of bread.
- Serve in a small glass or bowl, top with avocado and fresh herbs or microgreens. Finish with a splash of olive oil and eat immediately.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.