This recipe for watermelon gazpacho, cold watermelon soup, is easy and delicious. It is the perfect combination of savory, sweet, fresh, refreshing, and summery. This refreshing and vegan soup is perfect for super hot summer days.
About this watermelon gazpacho
This is one of my favorite summer cold soups. This watermelon gazpacho is so easy and fast to make that you’ll have it ready in 15 minutes. It’s one of the most nutritious, delicious, and refreshing cold soups you can make.
It’s like starting your meal with a powerful juice full of nutrients. This is a perfect soup for days when you can’t stand the heat and would instead not cook.
Ingredients for the watermelon gazpacho, cold soup
Watermelon, frozen watermelon chunks: use ripe and sweet watermelon. I like to use frozen because I love my very cold gazpacho.
Tomatoes: Use any tomato on hand; I like cherry tomatoes because they are a bit sweeter, and you don’t have to chop them.
Cucumbers: For this recipe, I always peel my cucumbers to protect the color of the gazpacho. We first eat with our eyes, don’t you think?
Garlic, shallots, and chili pepper: These ingredients have potent flavors. You want to add them in tiny chunks, blend and taste the watermelon gazpacho. Together they give a slightly spicy flavor, but be careful because these ingredients can easily overpower the rest.
Olive oil , extra virgin olive oil.
How to freeze watermelon?
- The best way to freeze watermelon is to peel it and cut it into chunks.
- Spread the chunks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put them in the freezer.
- Freeze for a couple of hours or until they are firm.
- Put the chunks in a freezer-safe container or a freezer-safe storage bag.
When I buy a watermelon, I usually cut it all up and put some in the fridge and some in the freezer. That way, when the kids want something cold-refreshing-delicious, I can take it out of the freezer and make a quick sorbet for them.
How to make this vegan watermelon gazpacho recipe
Blend the tomatoes, watermelon, cucumber, garlic, and shallot in the blender with olive oil, chile serrano (if you will use it), salt, and pepper.
Serve in small cups or glasses if you want to make watermelon shooters or in small bowls.
How to finish cold watermelon soup
I like to garnish the soup with diced avocado, microgreens, and a drizzle of olive oil. You can also serve it with a piece of toast or sliced baguette.
What to serve with gazpacho
✎TIP This gazpacho tastes better when it’s freshly made so remember to make only the amount you'll eat that day.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or a rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
Other vegan recipes with watermelon that you may like:
Cold watermelon soup
- 250 grs cherry tomatoes red or yellow
- 1/2 cucumber peeled and cut into pieces
- 3 cups frozen watermelon
- 1 shallot small
- 1 garlic clove small
- 1/2 serrano chili optional
- 2 tablespoons sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1/4 cup of micro greens or chopped fresh herbs
- Put tomatoes, watermelon, cucumber, garlic and shallot in the blender with olive oil, the chile serrano (if you are going to use) salt and pepper.
- Blend until everything is well integrated, taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary. If you want the cold watermelon soup with a bit more body, add the piece of bread.
- Serve in a small glass or bowl, top with avocado and fresh herbs or microgreens. Finish with a splash of olive oil and eat immediately.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This recipe appeared first in August 2017.