Yes, I know that the title might seem confusing…or a bit too long, but bear with me. Close your eyes and just imagine the fluffiest ever corn pancakes topped with a healthy and a bit spicy coconut “bacon.” Sounds good right? Yummm!
This post was created in partnership with One Degre Organics, pictures, the recipe and ideas are all mine.
And better yet is that these pancakes are made with organic sprouted spelt flour from One Degree Organics, so they are extra healthy. On top of that, these corn pancakes are so easy to prepare that I’m sure they’ll soon become one of your favorite recipes for breakfast, brunch, or breakfast for dinner.
Spelt flour has been used for thousands of years, and lately, it is has become more common to cook with it. Spelt flour has many minerals and vitamins, and when sprouted … it becomes super nutritious!!!
The mixture for these corn pancakes only takes four tablespoons of sugar, corn kernels, and polenta. The topping that makes them different and delicious (apart from the spelt germinated flour) is the coconut “bacon” with serrano chile. Yes, a bit of serrano chile adds a bit of a spicy bite at the end … you have to try it.
With these corn pancakes, you get all the flavor without all the saturated fat of the bacon and the empty calories of the white flour. So here is the recipe for these corn pancakes with coconut “bacon” with serrano chile and I hope you like it. If you do, please share the recipe and the blog.
Cornbread pancakes and coconut “bacon” with serrano chile
- 11/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 11/2 cups organic sprouted spelt flour
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons coconut or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of corn kernels I use frozen
Coconut bacon with serrano chile
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke * see notes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch salt
- 1 / 2-1 minced chile serrano
- 2 1/2 cups coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- maple syrup
- butter or vegan butter
- corn kernels
- Measure the milk and water in a small bowl, add the vinegar. Set aside.
- For the pancakes. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, the polenta, and sugar. Add the milk mixture. Mix well and add the corn kernels.
- In a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat about 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil and coat the bottom of the skillet. Scoop the batter into the skillet, spacing the pancakes about 2 inches apart. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes and flip. The bottom should be golden brown. Leave for about a minute more. When done transfer to a platter while you finish the rest of the pancakes.
- In a large bowl mix the liquid smoke, soy sauce or tamari sauce, the maple syrup and the pinch of salt. Add the coconut flakes and the serrano chili. Mix well to cover all.
- In a large skillet add the spoonful of oil and coat well the bottom. When hot add the flakes and constantly turn until golden. Remove from the heat and let them cool on a tray.
- Serve the pancakes with butter (I use vegan), corn kernels, spicy coconut bacon and maple syrup.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Find more of all the delicious products from ONE DEGREE ORGANICS here.