This coconut rice recipe is a great idea to kick up a notch the usual rice. This vegan creamy and delicious recipe is full of flavor, nutrition, and its fantastic as a side dish or on its own.
I love coconut, yummy! I can eat it fresh with chili and lemon, dehydrated on top of granola or oatmeal, in sweets or salty things… Soups and curries are marvelous with coconut milk or if you finish them with some coconut chips on top.
Besides its great flavor, coconuts also have many health benefits.
LET ME GIVE YOU SOME COCONUT BENEFITS:
- Coconut water is a wonder to rehydrate the body after exercising or for hot days.
- The fatty acids in coconut help us lose weight, take care of our heart, improve our circulatory system, our immune system, nails, and hair.
- Coconut oil is super-rich for cooking and to rub it up on our skin.
- I put it on as a moisturizer, and as a hair treatment, it’s the best. You can even use it to clean your skin, and it also serves to remove pimples.
- I cook very often with the oil; I use it to make cookies, cakes, to roast, anywhere I would use regular oil.
- And I do the same with the coconut milk, I use it instead of regular milk, and it is excellent in everything.
- A good tip would be if you run out your vegetable milk… you can always make coconut milk by mixing one part of canned coconut milk with three parts of water.
And… as always, here is the recipe for this
vegan creamy coconut rice
with peas … and cilantro and peanuts… I hope you like it and if that’s the case… please share it on Instagram and Facebook; if you are doing it later, save it on Pinterest. Here are other recipes with coconut milk:
- Coconut and chocolate moonballs DESSERT
- Superfast curry, Thai curry under 30 minutes
- Cauliflower and Chickpea Soup
Rice with coconut
- 2 Cups of brown rice brown rice is much, much more nutritious than white rice
- 3 cups of water
- 1 Cup of coconut milk see the notes
- 1 Cup of peas I use frozen
- 1/3 cup Cashews or peanuts
- 1/4 cilantro
- In a pot, add the rice, water, and coconut milk to cook. When you notice that the rice is almost done(you will probably still see a little liquid), add the peas and salt.
- At this moment, taste the rice, and if you feel that it is still a little uncooked, add 1/4 cup of hot water. The amount of liquid in a can of coconut milk can vary; that is why it is so important to check the rice at this point.
- For serving, toast the cashews or peanuts and add the chopped cilantro on top.
The coconut milk has to be WITHOUT sugar.
I use a brand called Native Forest or the Whole Foods 365 brand; both are organic.
Sometimes I use full fat and other times the “Light” version that is a little less dense than the other one. I really like using the light version for this rice.