You will find this crispy orange tofu on many menus in Chinese restaurants. This oriental dish is also made with chicken or meat. This recipe for orange tofu is the vegan version and very easy to prepare.
Perfect tofu recipe for everyone
This tofu recipe is a favorite in my household and consists of a firm or extra firm tofu cut into cubes and baked until crispy. Then bathed with a sweet-spicy and delicious oriental sauce. I finished it with sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
This orange tofu can be served over brown rice, white rice or on top of rice noodles.
Ingredients for crispy orange tofu
- Crispy tofu. You can make this tofu in the oven or in the air fryer . Either way, you just have to squeeze the tofu very well, put a layer of cornstarch or tapioca flour on it. You put it in the oven or air fryer and that’s it.
- Oriental chili paste or Sriracha sauce.
- Orange marmalade. Find the jam that you like the most, I like to use homemade or artisanal. If you don’t like orange marmalade, you can use apricot or peach.
- Oil. Use vegetable oil, whichever you like the most, I usually use avocado oil.
- Garlic and ginger. Chopped as small as you can.
- Soy sauce or tamari sauce. With either of the two, it looks good. If you use coconut aminos, adjust the seasoning with salt.
🔥TIP If the sauce is too thick you can add water to make it a little thinner. On the other hand, if the sauce was very watery, you can add a teaspoon of cornstarch to thicken it.
How to make this dish?
- The first thing is to make crispy tofu; in this post, you can see the step-by-step method I use. While the tofu is cooking, you can start making the sauce and cooking the rice ( I like brown rice).
- To make the sauce, put the oil in a pan and add garlic and ginger. When they release their aroma, add the rest of the ingredients. Leave for 5-10 minutes on low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Add the crispy tofu and top with the spicy, sweet, and delicious orange sauce.
Other recipes that you may like:
Tips & Tricks
- You can substitute crispy tofu with browned tofu or just add fresh out of the package tofu to the sauce. If you’re making it with roasted tofu, add the tofu along with the garlic and ginger. If you make it with tofu fresh out of the package, add it when the sauce is done.
- Use firm or extra firm tofu, do not use the tofu that is packaged in tetra pack, which works best in other recipes.
- Finish with mint, chives, coriander, or the fresh herb that you like the most.
So here is the recipe for crunchy tofu with orange and I hope you like it as much as we do. When you do, take a photo of it and share your creation. If you are going to do it later, save it on Pinterest and it would also be incredible if you give it 5 stars and/or if you tell me how it went in the comments section; if you have doubts or ideas also put them there.
Crispy orange tofu
- 1 14- 0z firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 2½ teaspoons minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- ¼ cup soy
- 1 teaspoon oriental chili paste or Sriracha sauce
- rice or noodles
- scallions chopped
- Sesame seeds
- Make the crispy tofu.
- To make the sauce, put the oil in a pan and add the garlic and ginger. When they release their aroma add the rest of the ingredients. Leave for 5-10 minutes on low heat until thick. Add the crispy tofu and top with the spicy, sweet and delicious orange sauce.
- Serve on top of rice or noodles and finish with chopped chives and sesame.
1 teaspoon tapioca or cornstarch if too runny
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.