These crispy potato tacos are one of my kids’ favorite Mexican meals ever. To tell you the truth… mine too.
In Mexico, this is party food and street food at its best. When I celebrated my kids birthdays I always served, “
And when you try them you’ll see why this are so popular. They are so good! I love this version of vegan crispy tacos because I prepare it with leftovers mashed potatoes. But you could stuff the corn tortillas with anything you want and they will turn out delicious. Think sweet potato, vegan cheese, mushrooms, beans, lentils, zucchini and the list of options goes on and on.
And the toppings…. OMG… YUM. So let me give you some tips and tricks to prepare the perfect vegan taquito.
tips, tricks & other recipes:
- Make these vegan flautas when you have some mashed potatoes leftovers.
- I have made these with mashed sweet potato, cauliflower puree, and they always turn out delicious.
- Use Authentic Mexican salsa verde to finish them up and a good drizzle of Mexican crema will take them to another level.
- I do not deep fry my
flautas, I just pan fry them in a good cast-iron skillet… yes I know… I’m making this healthier.
- Heat the tortillas before rolling the crispy potato tacos. You need them to be pliable.
- You can prepare them and then freeze them. Thaw and pan fry. These are best eaten freshly made.
This will be the perfect Mexican vegan menu: ・Mexican vegetable soup ・These taquitos with a side of refried beans ・For dessert... avocado chocolate mousse ・To drink.... healthy almond horchata
So here is the recipe for these
crispy potato tacos
and if you prepare them and like them please share the recipe and the blog. I would love to see your creations on FB, INSTAGRAM @piloncilloyvainilla #piloncilloyvainilla . Or maybe you wanna save it for later on Pinterest.
Crispy potato tacos
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil or avocado oil
- 4 long wooden skewers
- thinly sliced romaine lettuce or green cabbage
- radishes thinly sliced
- Salsa verde
- Heat tortillas on a skillet for 10-15 seconds to make them pliable.
- Put a spoonful of mashed potatoes in the center of each tortilla and spread it along the tortilla. Roll the tortilla and put it on a long skewer. Repeat until you put three or four tacos on the skewer.
- Repeat with all the tortillas.
- In a frying pan over high heat put a tablespoon of oil and put three or four tacos, leave until golden brown, three to five minutes, turn and brown on the other side.
- Take out the tacos and put in a dish with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Repeat until all the tacos are done.
- To serve, put the crispy potato tacos on a plate and finish with the toppings. Enjoy immediately.