These crispy potato tacos are one of my kid’s favorite Mexican meals ever, and to tell you the truth… mine too.
In Mexico, crispy tacos are party food and street food at its best. When we lived in Monterrey, Mexico and I celebrated my kids’ birthdays I always served “
In every kid’s party we went there were always crispy tacos on the menu. If you go to carnivals or food markets you will always find a vendor on the street preparing and selling taquitos.
And when you try them you’ll see why this are so popular. They are so good! For this version of potato taquitos or vegan crispy potato tacos I used mashed potatoes I had as leftovers in the fridge.
But you can stuff the corn tortillas with anything that you want and they will turn out delicious. Taquitos can be made with mashed sweet potatoes, vegan cheese, mushrooms, black beans, lentils, zucchini and the list of options goes on and on.
tips, tricks & other recipes:
In this list, you’ll find the best tricks on how to make crispy potato tacos.
And the toppings…. OMG… YUM. So let me give you some tips and tricks to prepare the perfect vegan taquito.
- Make these vegan flautas when you have some mashed potatoes leftovers.
- I have made these with mashed sweet potato, cauliflower puree, and they always turn out delicious.
- Use Authentic Mexican salsa verde to finish them up and a good drizzle of Mexican crema will take them to another level.
- I do not deep fry my
flautas, I just pan fry them in a good cast-iron skillet… yes I know… I’m making this healthier.
- Heat the tortillas before rolling the crispy potato tacos. You need them to be pliable.
- You can prepare them and then freeze them. Thaw and pan fry. These are best eaten freshly made.
This will be the perfect Mexican vegan menu: ・Mexican vegetable soup ・These potato tacos with a side of refried beans ・For dessert... avocado chocolate mousse ・To drink.... healthy almond horchata
✎TIP ・Use iceberg, romaine lettuce or green cabbage to finish this crispy potato tacos. ・You could use raw salsa verde, cooked salsa verde or a super powerful guac to finish them up. ・I also like to eat them with thinly sliced radishes and some Mexican pickled red onions
So here is the recipe for these
crispy potato tacos
and if you prepare them and like them please share the recipe and the blog. I would love to see your creations on FB, INSTAGRAM @piloncilloyvainilla #piloncilloyvainilla . Or maybe you wanna save it for later on Pinterest.
Crispy potato tacos
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil or avocado oil
- 4 long wooden skewers
- thinly sliced romaine lettuce or green cabbage
- radishes thinly sliced
- Salsa verde
- Heat tortillas on a skillet for 10-15 seconds to make them pliable.
- Put a spoonful of mashed potatoes in the center of each tortilla and spread it along the tortilla. Roll the tortilla and put it on a long skewer. Repeat until you put three or four tacos on the skewer.
- Repeat with all the tortillas.
- In a frying pan over high heat put a tablespoon of oil and put three or four tacos, leave until golden brown, three to five minutes, turn and brown on the other side.
- Take out the tacos and put in a dish with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Repeat until all the tacos are done.
- To serve, put the crispy potato tacos on a plate and finish with the toppings. Enjoy immediately.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.