This crunchy chili oil is the perfect addition to your next Asian-inspired dish! It’s easy to make and can be used in many different ways. You can use this chili oil as a dipping sauce, a marinade, a stir-fry ingredient, or like me, to dress a roasted cauliflower salad.
It’s the perfect way to add a little spice to your next meal.
About this recipe
Once you try this crunchy chili oil I made, you will be looking all over for more dishes to put on top. But there is one trick to creating the perfect, most flavorful homemade crunchy chili oil and good spices.
before you start, Check your spices
Yes, you have to use fresh, flavorful herbs and spices. Check the seasonings and dried herbs you have in your cupboard. When opening the container, you want them to have a “strong” and delicious aroma.
If they don’t smell or taste delicious, it is time to replace them. When cooking with dried herbs and spices, I use the same logic as fresh produce: fresh and delicious food to achieve the best results.
- Minced dried Onion, or onion flakes
- Smoked Chili Flakes, or sub with regular chili flakes
- Minced dried garlic, or garlic granules
- Paprika Powder, you can use sweet or spicy
- Mexican Oregano, this ingredient is completely optional. I love the flavor that it gives but feel free to omit it.
- Vegetable oil I use avocado oil
How to make crispy chili oil
- Meanwhile, make the chili oil. Add the smoked chili pepper flakes, dried onion, oregano, garlic, paprika, and salt to a jar with a lid.
- Heat the oil until it ripples, and pour over the spices.
- Let it cool before tasting.
When heating the oil, heat it just until it ripples, don't let it smoke. If the oil is smoking hot, it will burn the spices and aromatics.
tips & ideas
- Give it a twist. I use SMOKED chili flakes from Mountain Rose Herbs for this recipe. The smokiness of the chili peppers gives a great depth of flavor. If you don’t like a smoky flavor, use regular red chili pepper flakes.
- Put it everywhere. All the simple ingredients combined give this homemade chili oil depth of flavor that will accentuate and make more delicious all the flavors on what you put it on.
- Here is an idea. I used roasted cauliflower and red onions as a canvas for this chili oil, but please, think out of the box and put it on everything.
- More ideas. It will taste great on roasted broccoli, romanesco, Brussel sprouts, salads, hummus, pizza, pasta, avocado toast, chickpea patties, you name it.
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Crunchy Chili Oil With Roasted Cauliflower
- Chopped cilantro
- Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Spread the cauliflower florets and sliced onion evenly on a baking sheet. Drizzle the oil and sprinkle the salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the chili oil. In a jar with a lid, add the smoked chili pepper flakes, the dried onion, oregano, garlic, paprika, and salt.
- Heat the oil until it ripples and pour over the spices.
- Let it cool before tasting.
- Place the cauliflower florets and onion on a serving dish; squeeze the juice of a lemon (or more if you like), sprinkle the cilantro leaves, and finish by drizzling crunchy chili oil on top.
- Serve immediately.
- When heating the oil, heat it just until it ripples, don’t let it smoke. If the oil is smoking hot, it will burn the spices and aromatics.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Go and check Mountain Rose Herbs blog and page!
This post was made in collaboration with Mountain Rose Herbs in February 2020. The recipe, pictures, and opinions are all mine.