This curried red lentil and butternut squash soup is delicious and very easy to prepare. Best of all, it’s that it can be meal prepped in advance or frozen when done. This red lentil soup with curry, tomato, coconut milk, and orange squash is a perfect nourishing vegan meal.
Have you ever tried red lentils or heard of them? Red lentils are similar in size to traditional lentils. The main differences are the color and that they are split before packing, like dried peas.
These little lentils, more than a bright red color, have a salmon color and when they are cooked they turn yellowish. When my kids were younger, they used to call them magic lentils, they loved to see the color change.
✨ Red lentils are one of the legumes that cook the fastest. That's why they're perfect to cook a healthy and delicious meal when you're in a rush.
HOW to cook red lentils?
The easiest way to prepare them is to cook them with water like any legume. But since these lentils don’t hold their shape like green lentils or beluga lentils, it is best to make them in soup, red lentil curry, dahl, or make red lentils with rice.
My favorite way to prepare them is in soup. I leave you other recipes that you are going to love:
HOW TO MAKE RED LENTIL SOUP?
This red lentil soup with curry is super-rich, nutritious and it is one of those soups that when you taste it you feel how its powers nourish your body, mind, and soul. You can make this soup:
- To eat at the moment it’s done, you prepare it and in 30 minutes you have a super nutritious vegan soup
- Meal prep. You can also prepare the ingredients and freeze them. When you’re ready to make the soup, you put everything in an InstantPot , crockpot, or on the stove in dutch cast iron.
- Freeze. You can perfectly double the recipe and eat one part and freeze the other.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR soup MEAL PREP
These instructions are to have all the ingredients ready and measured in a bag and to cook later.
- Chop the onion and fry it with the garlic, ginger, and spices. Let cool.
- While the aromatics are cooling down, put the lentils, tomatoes, butternut squash, and finally the cooled aromatics in a freezer bag.
- Label clearly the bag and write these instructions:
- Put over medium heat (or simmer if it is in a crockpot) along with three cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- When the lentils are soft, add a can of coconut milk.
- Serve with chopped fresh cilantro and lemon juice.
- Put in the freezer.
This red lentil curried soup is the absolute best and also packed with superpowers. It has garlic and onion, great for coughs or colds. It has turmeric and ginger, both superfoods.
Best of all, you don’t even realize that you are eating something so powerful and good for the body; the mixture of flavors with tomato, coconut milk, and red lentils is perfectly delicious.
So here is the recipe for this delicious and hearty soup CURRIED RED LENTIL AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP. If you like it please share the blog and recipe or take a picture and post it on Instagram, Facebook or save it for later on Pinterest.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
CURRIED RED LENTIL AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 piece ginger, 1 inch grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder I use Madras
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 2 cups of butternut squash diced
- 1 15 oz can of tomatoes chopped
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 4 cups of water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Cilantro chopped
- Lemon juice
- brown rice* *optional
- In a large pot add the coconut oil, the onion, suaté for 3 minutes then add the garlic and ginger. Leave it for two minutes more, moving so it does not burn.
- Add the spices, mix for about 15 seconds or until fragrant. Add the canned tomatoes, lentils, water and butternut squash. When the lentils are soft and the butternut squash cooked, add the milk can of coconut.
- Mix and serve with chopped fresh cilantro, lemon juice, and jalapeño slices.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This recipe is a repost from December 2016.