This double chocolate vegan birthday cake recipe is easy and delicious, and it’s the perfect birthday cake. It is filled with a date and coconut vegan filling and covered with a very easy-to-make chocolate ganache.
About this recipe
What a great way to celebrate birthdays with the best vegan birthday cake of all, a double chocolate vegan birthday cake. This cake is moist, easy to prepare, full of chocolate, and with a delicious coconut and date filling.
I love chocolate, so anything with double chocolate will be my favorite thing ever, immediately. That is why I prepared this cake for birthdays. It is simple yet delicious.
The filling for this cake is to die for flavor and texture-wise. In every bite, you get a burst of chocolate flavor with the sweetness and chewiness of the dates and the crunchiness of the coconut flakes. I mean? What is not to love about this yumminess, right?
vegan CHOCOLATE CAKE INGREDIENTS
- CAKE. The vegan cake is made with the following: flour, look for the unbleached one. Did you know that there are brands that use bleach to whiten it? So I only use unbleached flour. Dark chocolate chips and cocoa powder , use the cleanest one you can find, one that does not have sugar or anything else in it. Baking powder, salt, sugar. Wet ingredients: almond milk (or coffee or water or oat milk), vegetable oil, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar .
- FILLING. I made the filling with dates, cocoa, vanilla, and unsweetened shredded coconut. Every bite you take, you feel the crunchiness of the coconut and the creamy filling.
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE. Coconut cream and dark chocolate melted in a double broiler give the best vegan frosting ever.
💡How to get coconut cream from a cocount milk can? 💡 If you put a can of coconut milk in the fridge, the coconut milk separates from the liquid or coconut water. The creamy white layer is the one we need to make the frosting with. Save the liquid or coconut water to make a smoothie.
About the vegan chocolate cake ingredients
Even when I bake, I always use the healthiest ingredients I can find and afford. For example, I use non-bleached whole grain flour; I use vegan and fair-traded sugar and delicious chocolate.
Eat all that you want as long as you cook it yourself.Michael Pollan
Difference between frosting and ganache
- FROSTING. Vegan buttercream frosting is the most common; it is usually made by mixing vegan butter, powdered sugar , and some type of flavoring. It is best made with a stand mixer to make it fluffy and airy.
- GANACHE is a rich mix normally made by mixing chocolate and heavy cream. This ganache is vegan; I made it by mixing dark chocolate and coconut cream.
Different ways to make this vegan chocolate cake
- The chocolate ganache can be used as a filling to cover or finish the cake.
- If you feel like something different without so much chocolate, you can fill the cake with raspberry and chia jam.
- This cake is also perfect if you make it in a square baking pan, put the filling on top, and then drizzle it with the chocolate ganache while it’s hot. This will make a three-layer kind of vegan German-ish cake.
- The truth is that this chocolate cake is so straightforward and perfect to adapt to your liking.
- You could play with different cake pans, make a multiple-layer cake, or even make cupcakes.
- This double chocolate vegan cake tastes amazing with vegan strawberry frosting or any other buttercream frosting you like.
- If you want to make this vegan cake gluten-free, use 1:1 gluten-free flour.
🔥IMPORTANT NOTE 🔥 You can easily change the shape of the baking pan, you can play around with the frosting and filling but please do not change the vegan chocolate cake recipe. If you change the flour or sugar, it will not turn out as rich and moist and beautiful as the cake in the pictures.
Other recipes that you may like:
So, here is the recipe for the best double chocolate vegan birthday cake, and I hope you like it; I love it so much and can’t wait to have another slice. If you do, please share the recipe and the blog. And if you make it, please take a picture of it and post it on Instagram so I can take a look at your creations.
I love to see what you make and how you transform my recipes and make them yours. And… don’t forget to let me know in the comment section if you liked it and if you want more recipes like this. Rate it with five stars.
Double chocolate vegan birthday cake
- Baking pan
- Mixing bowls
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup almond or soy milk
- 1 cup of dark coffee or water
- 2/3 cup of melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup semi-dark sweet chocolate in small pieces
- 2 cups of dates pitted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 5 ounces of dark semi-sweet chocolate in chunks
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare two cake molds with coconut oil, so the cake doesn’t stick.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, sugar, salt. Mix well and make a hole in the center.
- Pour milk, coffee or water, vanilla, and vinegar. Mix well add the coconut oil and then add the chopped dark chocolate. Mix and divide the batter into the baking molds.
- Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until a clean toothpick comes out when you insert it into the center of the cake. Remove from oven and cool.
- Meanwhile, soak the dates in a bowl with the cup of boiling water. When they are soft, put them in the food processor along with cocoa, vanilla, and salt. Pulse it until a paste is formed. Then turn on the food processor and gradually empty the water where the dates were soaked. Turn off the food processor when a smoother paste is formed.
- In a separate bowl mix this paste of dates and cocoa with the grated coconut.
- When the cake is at room temperature, put the mixture of dates on one side and top with the other.
- If you want, you can cover the whole cake with the mixture of dates and coconut.
- To make the chocolate ganache to cover the cake just melt dark chocolate in a double broiler. When melted add a cup of coconut cream. Frost the cake as you use to.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.