This recipe for double chocolate vegan birthday cake is easy, delicious and it is chocolate cake. Do I need to say more?
Today is my birthday, and I love chocolate so what a great way to celebrate it with the best vegan birthday cake of all, double chocolate vegan birthday cake. This cake is moist, easy to prepare, full of chocolate and with a delicious coconut and date filling.
I love chocolate so anything with double chocolate will be may favorite thing ever intimately. That is why I prepared this cake for my birthday. It is simple yet delicious. The filling for this cake is to die for flavor and texture wise. In every bite, you get that burst of chocolate flavor with the sweetness and chewiness of the dates and the crunchiness of the coconut flakes. I mean? What is not to love about this yumminess, right?
Related content: Chocolate avocado pudding
Even when I bake, I try to use always the healthiest ingredients I can find and afford. For example, I use non-bleached whole grain flour, I used vegan and fair traded sugar and very good chocolate. Remember what Michael Pollan says..eat all that you want as long as you cook it yourself. And we really live by that philosophy, it does make a difference.
So, here is the recipe for
the best double chocolate vegan birthday cake
and I hope you like it. If you do, please share, the recipe and the blog. And if you make it, please take a picture of it and post it on Instagram with @piloncilloyvainilla and #piloncilloyvainilla so I can take a look at your creations. I just love to see what you make, how you transform my recipes and make them yours. And… don’t forget to let me know in the comment section if you liked it and if you want more recipes like this.
Double chocolate vegan birthday cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup almond or soy milk
- 1 cup of dark coffee or water
- 2/3 cup of melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup semi-dark sweet chocolate in small pieces
- 2 cups of dates pitted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 5 ounces of dark semi-sweet chocolate in chunks
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare two cake molds with coconut oil, so the cake doesn't stick.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, sugar, salt. Mix well and make a hole in the center.
- Pour milk, coffee, vanilla, and vinegar. Mix well add the coconut oil and then add the chopped dark chocolate. Mix and divide the batter into the baking molds.
- Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until a clean toothpick comes out when you insert it into the center of the cake. Remove from oven and cool.
- Meanwhile, soak the dates in a bowl with the cup of boiling water. When they are soft, put them in the food processor along with cocoa, vanilla, and salt. Pulse it until a paste is formed. Then turn on the food processor and gradually empty the water where the dates were soaked. Turn off the food processor when a smoother paste is formed.
- In a separate bowl mix this paste of dates and cocoa with the grated coconut.
- When the cake is at room temperature, put the mixture of dates on one side and top with the other.
- If you want, you can cover the whole cake with the mixture of dates and coconut.
- To make the chocolate ganache to cover the cake just melt dark chocolate in a double broiler. When melted add a cup of coconut cream. Frost the cake as you use to.