Ok, I have a secret to confess. The first time I made these easy vegan green enchiladas was with leftovers I had in the fridge…
and they turned out delicious. They came together so easy that I kept preparing them again and again. I just love these easy recipes that you put together in a pinch and everybody in your family loves… Don’t you? Especially for those days that you have to cook super fast or just have no idea what to prepare.
It happens to me from time to time that I open the fridge and no… nothing, no inspiration on what to cook. Then I go to the pantry searching for more ideas, and then I go to the blog and to my cookbooks and no… no inspiration at all. Am I the only one that goes through this??? Does it happens to you as well??? So, this recipe for easy vegan green enchiladas comes in soooo handy for these days ?.
And the best part of this recipe is that the same sauce you use for the enchiladas is the same sauce you use to flavor the filling. I made the filling of these easy vegan green enchiladas with black beans and brown rice. I also added a large handful of greens because as Sergio says … I love to turn everything into a “salad.”
I had the rice and the beans already cooked in the fridge, so these enchiladas came together really fast.
Do you remember that I always tell you that I try to have a grain and a pulse always cooked and ready to go? This makes my life easier and keeps me organized in the kitchen. But, no worries if you do not have homecooked beans or rice at home, you could always use canned or pouched ones. Finish these enchiladas with diced avocado, cilantro, thinly sliced radishes, and scallions.
So here is the recipe for these
easy vegan green enchiladas
and I hope you like them as much as I do if you share the recipe and the blog. And when you prepare them, take a picture and post on FB, Instagram with the @piloncilloyvainilla and #piloncilloyvainilla so that I can see it and share it. And if you are planning on doing this authentic Mexican enchilada casserole save it on Pinterest.
Easy vegan green enchiladas
- 1 ½ cup of salsa verde
- 1 ½ cup cooked brown rice
- 1 ½ cup cooked black beans or any other that you prefer
- 1 large handful of green leaves spinach, kale or mixture of the two
- ½ cup of pumpkin seeds
- 8-12 corn tortillas
- 5 thinly sliced radishes
- 1 medium avocado in squares
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 scallions, white and green parts
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare the green sauce as you like or follow this recipe.
- Put two or three tablespoons of sauce in the bottom of a baking dish.
- In a large bowl put the rice, beans, green leaves, pumpkin seeds and about half a cup of sauce. Mix well.
- Heat the corn tortillas until pliable.
- Fill each tortilla with two or three tablespoons of this mixture, roll it up and put it in the oven dish with sauce, with the fold of the tortilla facing down.
- When finished, put the rest of the sauce in the center of the enchiladas, cover and put in the oven for 20 minutes or until the enchiladas are hot and the sauce has changed color.
- Remove from the oven and finish with slices of radish, cilantro, scallion, and avocado.
- Serve immediately.
- 5-7 tomatillos depending on the size without peel and rinsed
- 1 cup cilantro, leaves, and stems
- 1-2 serrano chili peppers
- 1 / 4-1 / 2 cup of roughly chopped white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Put the blender the tomatillos, the cilantro, the chile serrano, the salt and a quarter cup of chopped onion. Blend until everything is well integrated, taste and adjust.