This is the easiest mashed potato you can get; it is an Instant Pot recipe, totally vegan and full of flavor. After trying this recipe for easy vegan instant pot mashed potato, you will not want to prepare any other; you will see the minute you try this fluffy, buttery, and flavorful mashed potatoes.
Ingredients to make tasty and creamy vegan mashed potatoes
- Potatoes. The best potatoes out there for a great mash are Russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes. My number one choice is by far the Russet type.
- Garlic, you can use as many cloves of garlic as you want 4-6 cloves for me is perfect because the garlic flavor doesn’t take over the mash. It just adds tons of flavor to the potatoes. And something important to notice is that we also benefit from their super powers.
- Olive oil, use the one you like the most. Remember that it is best to buy olive oil that comes in dark glass bottles.
- Salt & pepper
- Vegan butter to finish it.
How to make Instant pot mashed potatoes?
- The first thing is to wash the potatoes with a vegetable brush and then peel them.
- Cut the potatoes into large pieces and put them in the pot. Cover with water, add the garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Cover with the InstantPot lid and make sure the vale is in the seal position.
- Set the pot on steam function for 8 minutes. When the timer goes off and the screen indicates that the time is done, remove the steam manually. Be careful not to burn yourself with the steam coming out of the realese valve.
- Take out the potatoes and garlic cloves, put them in a bowl, and mash them until they have the texture you like. If you want to mash the potatoes in the container of the InstantPot , drain them first, but be sure to save some water where they cooked.
✎NOTE Do not throw away the water in which the potatoes cooked. 🔥Add this water slowly to the potatoes to make the puree creamier. In the non-vegan version of this recipe, milk or cream is usually added. But in this case, this potato water has all the flavor and seasoning to make a great vegan dish. 🔥Also, by using this water, our puree will have less fat, less empty calories and it would be dairy-free.
If you don’t have an instant-pot, no worries, here is the over the stove method:
- Put the washed and peeled potatoes in the pot with the rest of the ingredients. Cover with water.
- Cover the pot and leave the potatoes over medium heat until soft, about 30-45 minutes.
- When they are soft, turn off the heat, remove the potatoes and garlic from the liquid and place them in a bowl. Mash them.
- Adjust salt and pepper. If you need more liquid, add the water in which they were cooked.
- If you want to have a super, super creamy puree, you can pass the cooked potatoes through a strainer or use a ricer.
- You can save the peels and brown them in oil. You can use them to finish a soup instead of croutons or as a snack.
- Another to make this recipe is to cook the potatoes unpeeled and whole, in the pot. When they are cooked you peel them. Either way they will be soft and perfect.
- I do not recommend using an immersion blender to make the mashed potatoes, I prefer to mashed them manually with a potato masher. I feel that manually is how I get my perfect desired consistency.
- This is the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving as is, but if you want to add a little extra flavor, finish it with fresh herbs or dried rosemary, thyme, or a fancy finishing salt.
- If you feel your vegan mashed potatoes need a bit more creaminess add a dollop of vegan sour cream or unsweetened almond milk.
What to do with the leftovers:
- Crispy potato tacos, as easy as filling a corn tortilla with it, roll it up, fry it and eat it with salsa verde or salsa molcajeteada and good guacamole.
- Potato and cilantro soup, you just add vegetable broth to the puree and season them again, and voila, your soup will be ready in a pinch.
- Lentil ramekins and mashed potatoes and cauliflower
- Vegan shepherd’s pie
Other recipes that you may like:
So here is the recipe for this vegan easy instant Pot mashed potato is one of my favorite recipes because it is easy because it is delicious and takes 15 minutes to make.
It would also be fantastic to give it five stars and tell me how it went in the comments section. If you have questions or ideas, put them there as well.
Easy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 6 large potatoes Russet or yukon
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes and put them in the pot of the Instant-Pot. Add the olive oil, garlic cloves, salt, and pepper. Cover with water.
- Turn on the pot on the steam function for 8 minutes.
- When the cycle ends, remove the steam manually. Take the potatoes and garlic out of the pot and mash with a potato masher until it has the consistency you want.
- Check for salt and pepper. Serve with chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
Use this recipe as a base and add whatever you like best, fine herbs, or vegan cream. Instructions for an over the stove mashed potatoes in the post.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.