I love enchiladas and I prepare them a lot. But with my super crazy life, sometimes, I do not get to prepare them. This is how I came up with this recipe, in a moment of no time and craziness.
This is a recipe, but it is also an idea. It is an idea for the kind of days that you just can’t think of what to cook! ? The best part of it is that you could double it and freeze one part for another clueless day.
You can freeze the enchilada sauce and the lentils and rice mixture together or in separate containers. My clueless days are awful, I stand in front of the fridge and nothing, in front of the pantry a no, not one idea. But I love to turn to the freezer and finding a life saver bag of frozen goodies and a jar with enchilada sauce.
? I´m having those kinds of days lately and you can’t imagine how grateful I am to find this guys in the freezer. I cook in the crockpot the mixture of brown rice and lentils, wait until it cools down a bit and the freeze it. I know I have lately posted a lot of lentil recipes, and you feel I should change the name of my blog to Lentils&Vanilla. But no worries, I promise I´ll move away from them for a couple of weeks.
Here is the recipe, hope you like it. The sauce is creamy and delicious and without all the fat and extra calories from the regular heavy cream. Use only the sauce or both or prepare regular enchiladas with it. And, if you like it, please share.
Enchilada sauce tacos
- 4 cups of cooked rice and lentils see notes
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup seeds pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- To serve:
- romaine lettuce julienned
- dried oregano
- corn tortillas
- In a pan add the tablespoon of oil and when hot, without being smoking hot, put the garlic.
- Leave for 3-5 minutes until they begin to release their aroma. Add the cumin, the teaspoon of salt, ancho chile and pumpkin seeds. Leave 5-7 min or until the species begin to smell delicious.
- Add the tomato puree and water. Lower the heat and let the sauce simmer for 3 minutes. Blend the sauce and check for seasoning.
- In the same pan add the lentils and rice. Pour the sauce over and leave at low heat until everything is warm.
- With this mixture of rice and lentil with enchiladas sauce make tacos.
- Serve the tacos with lettuce, sprinkled dried oregano and more sauce.
I put a cup of brown rice and a cup of lentils plus four cups of water. Each pot crockpot is different, use yours as directed.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
[inlinkz_linkup id=557633 mode=1]