Let me try to explain what enfrijoladas are. But first I have to tell you that this is one of my favorite vegan Mexican dishes ever and one of the fastest to prepare. The flavor of these enfrijoladas are the kind of flavors that takes me to my childhood.
Enfrijoladas are one of the simplest dishes ever, I mean it can’t get simpler than corn tortillas and refried beans. It is so simple to veganize this authentic Mexican dish and to make it a canvas for tons of other healthy toppings. This is a comfort dish, so prepare it with your favorite toppings, Mexican toppings that make you happy.
What are enfrijoladas?
Enfrijoladas are a type of enchilada, but for enfrijoladas, instead of drenching the tortilla in salsa, you dip the corn tortillas in very creamy refried beans. Then you fold the tortilla in twos or fourths and start adding the toppings that you like. Usually, enfrijoladas are finished with a dollop of Mexican crema, salsa, and sliced red onions. But they taste amazing with avocado slices on top, or with vegan chorizo crumbles or pico de gallo.
tips, trick & other recipes
In this list you will find the tips to make the most delicious enfrijoladas.
- Ok, tip number one. Enfrijoladas are not a pretty dish so, if you have never seen or prepared them do not be discouraged by how the whole dish looks. With practice, you’ll make better and prettier ones.
- This is the dish that Mexican moms feed our children when we have no idea what to prepare for dinner, lunch, or breakfast. 😉
- This is the recipe that I grew up eating. But I know that other families have a different version of this traditional Mexican dish. Some people stuff the enfrijoladas with cheese, with vegetables or more beans. Feel free to stuff them with whatever you feel like. There is no way this traditional Mexican enfrijolada will go wrong.
- You can make the sauce with homecooked beans or canned beans. I mean if you call making loose refried beans a sauce.
- Look for good corn tortillas, homemade are best.
- I prepare my refried beans in my Instant Pot, and you can use any type of bean: Black beans, pinto beans, etc.
- I serve them with vegan Mexican crema, homemade or storebought.
- Quick pickled red onions and salsa, usually authentic Mexican salsa verde
So here is the recipe for these
enfrijoladas, a vegan mexican recipe
that I’m sure it will soon become one of your favorite authentic Mexican dishes. It is so easy and comforting that I really hope all of your family loves it as much as my family does. If you make it please share the recipe on Instagram, Fb or save it for later on Pinterest.
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups refried beans
- water or vegetable broth as needed
- In a pan heat the refried beans with a bit of water or vegtable stock until you achieve the consistency of a thick soup.
- Heat the oil and start heating the corn tortillas, heat them until pliable. From here you can eithr dip the tortilla in the refried bean sauce and place it on a plate folded in two or heat all the tortillas and then dip them one by one in the creamy bean sauce.
- Serve inmidiately and top with Mexican Crema and quick pickled red onions.