This sandwich; this gluten-free cauliflower banh-mi, is a complete explosion of flavors and textures in your mouth. It has all the flavors I love. It is salty and sweet with a bit of a spicy kick at the end of every bite.
And it is perfect for this time of the year. Summer is just around the corner, so I designed this vegan sandwich to be eaten on laps, on the go, on a picnic or just outside. Yes for being outside! I feel this colorful vegan sandwich makes a very happy meal. It is so colorful, easy, healthy, and delicious.
It all starts by marinating cauliflower in a very tasty (filled with nutritional superpowers) marinade. Then I like to prepare the quick pickled carrots, and at this point, you are almost done. The only steps missing are: prepping fresh herbs and the cucumber, cooking the cauliflower and assembling the gluten-free cauliflower banh-mi.
Yes, it’s that easy to make this summery, fresh and colorful sandwich. I love to feed my family dishes from all over the world. I feel this is such an excellent way to expose them to different cultures. And even better when it’s through a sandwich packed with great flavor and natural ingredients. And..I’m using Little Northern Bakehouse Chia and Millet hot dog buns, so these are practically perfect.
These buns are so flavorful that they give these gluten-free cauliflower banh-mi sandwiches a special something. Yes, because you have to know that gluten-free bread can be delicious and soft. That is what I like the most about Little Northern Bakehouse; I do not have to sacrifice the texture of the bread or the flavor. I don’t know about you, but gluten-free bread can be tricky and believe me when I say that these guys got it right.
So here are some tips, tricks, and other recipes to make this special meal a winner at your household.
- When cooking the cauliflower, use a nonstick pan.
- Toast the bread when everything else is ready.
- If you like extra saucy meals, you could prepare a double batch of the marinade to have an extra saucy cauliflower.
- This recipe will be amazing with a side of noodles, or a green mango salad or with a minty watermelon slushy.
So here is the recipe for this
gluten-free cauliflower bahn-mi
Gluten-free cauliflower Bahn-mi
- 4 gluten-free buns from Little Northern Bakehouse
- 1 cauliflower head
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ lime its juice
- Pinch of salt
Quick pickled carrots
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 3 teaspoons of sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 julienne carrots
To assemble the banh-mi
- Vegan mayo or Vegan spicy mayo
- 1 cucumber sliced diagonally
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 20 mint leaves
- 1 jalapeño pepper sliced
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade and pour on top of the cauliflower. Set aside.
- In a big jar with a lid mix the water, rice vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Cover and shake until thoroughly combined. Add the carrots, shake again, and let it sit for 10 min approx.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower, lower the heat, and cook for about 10 minutes on each side. The cauliflower should be cooked but still, have a bite to it. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- To prepare the banh-mi slice the Millet and Chia hotdog buns in half lengthwise. Warm the bread over a skillet or in the oven at 300ºF for a few minutes.
- Spread vegan mayo along the inside top and bottom of the hot dog bun. Arrange the cucumber, herbs, pickled carrots, sliced jalapeño, and top with the cauliflower.
To prepare the vegan spicy mayo just mix 1 tablespoon of sriracha or garlic chili sauce into 1/4 cup vegan mayo
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.