Avocado toast is one of the best ways ever invented to eat toast. But this kimchi avocado toast is on another level of deliciousness. This toast is an explosion of flavor with every bite. (Important note: not all kimchi is vegan. Double-check and read the labels before buying.)
What is kimchi?
Kimchi is a staple in Korean cuisine, and it is so good for you because it is made with fermented vegetables. It also may have other vegetables like carrots, scallions, ginger, garlic, etc. Not all kimchi is vegan, so check your labels before buying it.
Why are going to love this recipe
- Because this is not the traditional avocado toast, it is not even made the same way everybody else’s makes it. But that is what makes the avocado toast different, every bite is a full experience of flavor and deliciousness.
- Kimchi and avocado are the perfect flavor pairing. The creaminess of the avocado cuts a bit of the spiciness and a strong bit of the kimchi. And when avocado toast is made with a piece of gluten-free bread, like the one from Little Northern Bakehouse it becomes a complete nutritional amazingness.
- Is kimchi good for you? Kimchi is a staple in Korean cuisine and it is so good for you because it is made with fermented vegetables. So it has all of the good stuff that benefits our gut.
- Is kimchi good for breakfast? I love kimchi because it makes a great meal, any time of the day. Yes, that means breakfast, lunch, and even dinner. I personally love to eat it as a quick and easy snack.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THE BREAD WITH AVOCADO AND KIMCHI
- Kimchi, I buy kimchi, I do not prepare it at home. I always check that the kimchi jar I’m buying is vegan. I chop it really small with a well-sharpened knife, it usually comes in large pieces. You can chop it by hand with a knife and board or with a food processor .
- Scallions. I like to use the white and dark green parts. Each one has a different flavor and texture that add to the dish.
- Toasted sesame oil, I recommend you have it at home, it is very good for many recipes.
- Large avocado cut into cubes
- Sesame seeds, black or white
- Mayonnaise and bread.
How to prepare the kimchi avocado mix?
- When you have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go, toast your bread. You can use a toaster or over a grill.
- Combine chopped kimchi, and sesame oil, toss the scallions, and the sesame seeds in a medium-small bowl, mix carefully with a fork.
- At last and being very careful not to over mix add the chopped avocado.
- Put a thin layer of mayonnaise on each slice of bread and finish with a tablespoon of the avocado and kimchi mixture. Finish with a pinch of kosher salt, drizzle chili oil, toasted sesame oil or sprinkle with black or white sesame seeds.
Tips, tricks & other recipes:
- I love love kimchi, especially the spicy one. But if it is your first time eating kimchi start with a mild one. Usually, I will buy it, as it is quite complicated to make.
- Again, if it is your first time eating kimchi keep in mind that it is a fermented food, it can be a little smelly when you open the jar. The smell will pass, no worries.
- What does kimchi taste good with? Kimchi goes great with rice, stew, and pretty much everything that could use an extra bit of kick.
- Kimchi usually comes in big chunks, I chop it to have a more even bite.
- For this Avocado kimchi toast, you can use any of Little Northern Bakehouse loaves: Millet&Chia, Seeds&Grains, Whole Grain Wide Slice, White Wide Slice, or 7 sprouted grains.
Give this recipe a twist
- Instead of vegan mayo you can use vegan cream cheese or mix cream cheese with the chopped kimchi and spread it over large slices of country bread for appetizers. If the mix is too thick add a little kimchi juice to thin it out.
- Add some cilantro for a fun fresh twist or green onions.
- Add soy sauce if you like more of an umami flavor or minced garlic cloves if you want more of a bite in your avocado mix.
Other recipes that you may like:
So here is the recipe for this KIMCHI AVOCADO TOAST, and I hope you like it as much as I do. Share a picture of your toast on Instagram, FB, or save it for later on Pinterest. Don’t forget to check out the Little Northern Bakehouse’s pages and try all of their products. They have brand new products!
Avocado Kimchi Toast
- ½ cup kimchi chopped
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 avocado large
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 4 teaspoons vegan mayonnaise
- 4 slices of Sprouted 7 Grain
- Toast the slices of bread
- Mix the kimchi, scallions, toasted sesame oil, and salt. Add the avocado and mix carefully.
- Spread about 1teaspoons of vegan mayo on each slice, top with the kimchi avocado mix and finish with the black sesame seeds.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This post is sponsored by Little Northern Bakehouse in October 2019. the recipe, pictures, and opinions are all mine.