This instant pot split pea soup with fresh herbs recipe is perfect for you to start enjoying all the powerful benefits of eating fresh herbs, legumes, and grains in a bowl.
What are split peas?
They’re dried peas that have been split into two halves. Because they’re much easier to digest than whole peas, they’re a popular ingredient in many healthful soups and stews. (And don’t worry—they cook pretty quickly!)
Can I make pea soup in the instant pot?
Instant Pot has been a huge success amongst my family and friends. The benefits of eating fresh herbs, legumes, and grains in a bowl are just too powerful to pass up. The Instant Pot has really made it easy for me to have breakfast ready for me when I wake up, lunch ready for me when I’m hungry during work, or dinner ready when we get home from work.
About this recipe
This instant pot split pea soup recipe is quick and easy to make in your instant pot pressure cooker. If you don’t have an instant pot, no worries. This soup can also be made on a stovetop or crockpot. And if you like to prepare your meals in advance, it freezes very well for future meals, too! And this is the perfect vegan green split pea soup to make.
Is split pea soup healthy?
Split peas are considered one of the most nutritious legumes, delivering protein, fiber, and various vitamins and minerals. High in vitamin C, they may help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels and protect against cardiovascular disease. But perhaps their most important property is their ability to stabilize blood sugar because of their high fiber content. In fact, studies have shown that eating split peas may actually lower your risk for type 2 diabetes.
Preparing your ingredients – chop what needs chopping
Another benefit of making this instant pot split pea soup with fresh herbs is that the vegetable chopping prep is minimal. You do not need to chop celery or carrots for this recipe. You just need to slice an onion and roughly chop some fresh herbs.
how do you make split pea soup in an instant pot
- First sauteé the onion and spices in the pot to develop the flavor base.
- Then add the the resto fo the ingredients and secure the lid of the pot on. Check that the pressure valve is set on seal and turn on the instant pot in the beans/chili setting for 20 minutes.
- Release the pressure mually, stir, check for donness and serve.
How to finish and serve
Serve with a slice of crusty bread, a good salad on the side, and finish with chopped scallions and fresh mint for the perfect lunch or dinner. This freezes well up to 3 months or keeps delicious in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Other recipes that you may like:
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”ifPXGiI5″ upload-date=”2020-08-28T11:19:25.000Z” name=”SOPA VERDE DE CHÍCHARO SECO CON HIERBAS FRESCAS” description=”Esta receta de chícharo seco con hierbas frescas es la receta perfecta para empezar a comer todos los poderes de las hierbas frescas en una sentada.” player-type=”default” override-embed=”default”]
Here is the recipe for GREEN SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH FRESH HERBS and I hope you like it. Please take a picture of your soup and share it on Instagram or FB. If you want to make this another day save on Pinterest.
GREEN SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH FRESH HERBS
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 thinly sliced onion onion
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 3/4 cup green split dried peas
- 3/4 cup of brown rice
- 1 large bunch of parsley
- 1 large bunch of cilantro
- 15 mint leaves
- 10 cups water
- chopped mint leaves
- sliced scallion
- With the sautée function on sautée the onion with the olive oil for a couple of minutes, then add the cinnamon and the turmeric. Give it about 5 minutes to release its smell.
- Add the rice, the dry peas, the herbs, the 10 cups of water and cover.
- Set the bean function on the Instant pot for 20 minutes.
- When done release the pressure manually, open the lid and check for doneness. Add salt to taste and stir well.
- Serve in suop bowls, and finish with sliced scallions and fresh mint.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.