These grilled artichokes are one of my favorite dishes, and every time I make them, everyone gets so happy. There are many ways to cook artichokes, but I’m sure this easy method will soon become your favorite.
How to choose the best artichokes?
Here are some helpful tips and tricks on eating and choosing the best artichokes.
- Choose artichokes that feel heavy. If you take them and they are light, they are probably not that meaty. Choose artichokes that feel heavy so they are fresh and not dried out.
- Leaves should be closed. Find ones where the leaves are still closed. When the leaves are separated, the artichokes are ripe and not the best to eat.
- Color. Look for the artichokes with a bright green color, but do not worry if they have some brown spots; that’s fine.
How to prepare the artichokes for grilling?
- If the artichokes stem is very long, cut it, just like the leaves’ tips; if they have thorns or are very long, cut the entire end or only the leaves you need with scissors.
- Put the artichokes in an extended pot so that each artichoke has its place and is not one on top of the other.
- Put water in the pot. It does not cover the artichokes completely; it reaches more or less half of them.
- Cover and leave for 10 minutes. Check, turn the artichokes and leave for ten more minutes until they are soft and ready.
💡TIP💡 To know if they are ready, being very careful not to burn yourself, pull a leaf from the center. It should come out with a bit of resistance and the underside should be smooth. Be careful so they do not overcook, if they do they will fall apart when you cut them in half.
How to cut the artichokes for grilling?
Squeeze the artichoke a little so that any water they may have comes out. When the artichokes are ready, remove them from the water with kitchen tongs. Put them on a board and cut them with a serrated knife in half. It is easier if you hold them in the kitchen tongs.
💡TIP💡 Make firm cuts and try NOT to move the knife too much from side to side, as this can also break them in many pieces.
How to clean the artichoke heart?
When the artichoke is cut in half, you will see between the bottom of the stem and the light leaves apart with very “fine hairs,” this part is called the choke. With a small knife, cut the fuzzy choke base, and with a spoon, remove it altogether. They will look like the photo above, with a hole.
How to grill artichokes?
When cooked, halved, and cored, put the artichokes facing down on a hot skillet with a bit of vegetable oil. Leave them for 5-10 minutes; it depends a lot on your griddle , or until they are hot again and the grill stripes are marked.
You can also grill them on an outdoor grill or put them in a pizza oven. If you make them in the pizza oven, add a little more olive oil, and be careful that they do not dry out or burn.
Ideas to serve them
When I prepare them like this, I love to serve them as a starter or side dish for pizzas or a good bowl of pasta with basil and parsley classic pesto. The flavor of artichokes is very mild; that’s why I like to serve them with dressings that help to bring out the flavor and not hide it. Here is a list of my favorite condiments:
If you have questions or comments, put them in the section below, and I will gladly answer you.
- Large pot
- Grill or griddle
- 4 pieces artichokes
- 1 simple vinaigrette recipe
- bread crumbs
- If the stem of the artichokes is very long, cut it, just like the tips of the leaves, if they have thorns or are very long, cut the entire tip or only the leaves that you need with scissors.
- Put the artichokes in a large pot, so that each artichoke has its place and is not one on top of the other. Put water in the pot but do not cover the artichokes completely, cover more or less half of them, cover the pot and leave for 10 minutes. Check, turn the artichokes and leave for 10 more minutes until they are soft and ready.
- When the artichokes are ready, remove them from the water with some kitchen tongs. Squeeze the artichoke a little so that any water they may have comes out. Put them on a board and cut with a serrated knife in half. It is easier if you stop them with the pliers.
- When they are cooked, halved and cored, put the artichokes facing down on a hot grill and with a little vegetable oil. Leave them for 5-10 minutes, it depends a lot on your grill, or until they are hot again and the grill stripes are marked.
- Serve with a vinaigrette and with breadcrumbs.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Do you follow me on Instagram?