This healthy mangonada recipe is the most delicious mangonada recipe you will find. This recipe is healthy because it does not contain sugar; the chamoy is homemade and is perfect for any occasion, 100% approved by adults and/or children.
Serve it on a summer day by the pool, in the park, on summer bbq days, or have it ready in the freezer for when that Mexican candy craving hits you.
what is a mangonada?
A mangonada is mango sorbet, chopped frozen mango or mango puré with chamoy sauce, chili powder, and pieces of dried fruit with chile. The mangonada may or may not have tequila or another liquor. It is served at children’s parties at adult parties in Mexico, and it is also super common between street vendors. The classic ingredients of a mangonada are mango, lemon, sugar, chamoy, Tajín chili or other powder, salt, and straw with tamarind candy wrapped around. The truth is that there is no formal recipe with exact quantities for mangonadas; each place has its own special recipe.
What do mangonadas taste like?
Mangonadas are sweet and tasty, tangy and spicy. The mango flavor gets a huge puch with the sweet and tart flavor of the chamoy and the tanginess of the ilime juice and chile poweder. They are very refreshing.
Ingredients for a healthy mangonada
- Frozen mango. To make the mangonada faster, I use frozen mango. When you buy it, check that it does not have sugar, you only want the fruit listed on the ingredients. Before making this super-rich and refreshing drink, taste the mango to see how sweet or sour it is.
- Chamoy sauce. Use the sauce that you like the most; it can be store-bought or made at home. But to make healthy mangonadas, you must choose ingredients without additives or lots of sugar.
- Chilli powder. You can use Tajin, ancho chili powder, or any other chili mix you like.
- Lime. The lime juice is important so that the mangonada is acidic and delicious. You can put the lemon juice with the mango while blending it or at the end when you have the sorbet with chamoy ready.
- Dried fruit with chili powder. The enchilada fruit is used to finish the mangonadas and can be from a straw wrapped with tamarind candy, spicy peanuts, or dried mango with chili powder. The truth is that you can use any topping; let your imagination fly to finish your favorite Mexican refreshing treat.
How to make a mangonada?
The first step to prepare this super refreshing drink is to have all the ingredients ready. As the mango is frozen and blended, it is like a frappe or ice cream; it melts quickly. That’s why it’s better to have all your ingredients ready.
To make a healthy mangonada at home, you have to start by blending the frozen mango. A good tip is to let it thaw for about five minutes before you start blending. This will make it softer and easier to blend. You can also add lemon juice or water to make the blender run better. You must try the mango before making the mangonada; maybe it needs a bit of sugar or needs more acidity.
Once the mango is blended, it is time to serve it. In a glass, put a layer of blended mango, then one or two tablespoons of chamoy sauce, chili powder, salt, spicy dried fruit. And you repeat the number of times that you want. Normally with two layers, it is perfect.
Tips & tricks to make the best healthy mangonadas
- Taste. Test, adjust, and taste again. There is no exact recipe to make the mangonadas; you have to try and adjust it.
- Tequila. If you are going to make mangonadas with tequila, “piquete” (spiked in Spanish) is added when you blend the mango; add the amount of tequila you want. Normally for 8 cups of frozen mango, it is about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of tequila.
- Liquid. For the blender to run well, it must have a little liquid. You can add water or lemon juice to it. If you have a high-power blender, such as the Blendtec or Vitamix , it is unnecessary to add liquid.
- To finish. To finish the mangonadas, you can use straws with tamarind, spicy peanuts, fresh mango, spicy mango, or the sweets that you like the most.
🔥TIP If you want to prepare them in advance, store them in the freezer. Just prepare them in plastic or glass containers with lids. Store in the freezer until you are ready to eat it. 🔥TIP You can also prepare the healthy mangonadas in popsicle molds.
Other recipes that you may like:
So here is the recipe, and I hope you like it as much as I do. When you do it, don’t forget to take a photo of it and share it on FB or Instagram. If you want to make this recipe later, save it on Pinterest. It would also be incredible to give this recipe 5 stars and leave me all your questions or comments in the section below.
- 8 cups frozen mango
- 1/4 cup sugar * optional
- 1/4 cup lemon juice * optional
- 1 cup chamoy
To finish it
- chopped chilli mango
- chilli powder
- lemon juice
- Blend the frozen mango. If you are using sugar, tequila, or lemon juice, put it in the blender at once.
- Taste and adjust the flavor.
- Serve a layer of blended mango, a tablespoon or two of chamoy, a teaspoon of chopped spicy mango, a pinch of chili powder, a pinch of salt and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Repeat. Serve with a straw and a spoon.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.