This healthy and super easy vegan Mexican burritos recipe is filled with brown rice and black beans mixed with a fantastic chipotle enchilada sauce, greens, and guacamole. This recipe is perfect for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
why we love this recipe
This is probably the healthiest and easiest burrito you’ll ever try. These healthy burritos have plant-based protein, vitamins, and minerals from greens and avocado. Imagine a flour burrito tortilla filled with homecooked or canned black beans and brown rice mixed with an awesome chipotle enchilada sauce made from scratch. Sounds super good, right?
The ingredients for this burrito recipe are super simple and pantry or fridge staples: beans, rice, greens, enchilada sauce, and sliced avocado. You can use homemade or storebought; it depends on your taste. I do prefer everything made from scratch.
🔥HOT TIP Cook on Sunday or Monday some type of bean and a grain (brown rice or quinoa) and I keep them in the fridge in air tight containers. This easy tip will make your life easier when it is time to cook and feed the family. I also try to double batch of any dressing or salsa I prepare.
how to make the vegan burritos?
- Make the filling
On a frying pan or small skillet heat the brown rice, beans and enchilada sauce.
- Heat the tortilla
On a skillet, comal or griddle heat the flour tortilla on both sides until it becomes pliable.
- Make the vegan burrito
Place a spoonfull or two of the bean-rice mix, add one or two slices of avocados and layer a handfull of greens. Fold the tortilla to make the burrito. Heat on a skillet over medium heat if you want it to be golden on all sides.
Some fun variations
- Add a different sauce. You can add red salsa molcajeteada, creamy jalapeño salsa, or authentic mexican salsa verde.
- Change it up a bit and instead of loading up the vegan burrito with avocado slices add a little bit of guacamole or a creamy salsa verde.
- Add a little bit of queso, or vegan cheddar cheese (I like Violife, daiya or Miyokos). Mexican crema or a dollop of vegan mayo would be a great addition.
- Add any type of legume: lentils, navy beans or pinto beans. You could also make these burritos with refried beans.
- Add other vegetables: corn, onions, zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, fresh cilantro or bell peppers.
- Instead of rice you could use cauliflower rice or quinoa.
This vegan burrito recipe is tasty, easy to make, perfect for travel, delicious, vegan, vegetarian and could be gluten-free if you used a gluten-free burrito flour tortilla.
Healthy Mexican Burritos, vegan recipe
- 1½ cups cooked black beans or 1 can
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1½ cup enchilada sauce
- 6 flour tortillas for burritos
- 1 avocado sliced
- 6 handfulls green leaves
- Heat the rice, and enchilada sauce over low heat, check for salt and add more if necessary. Meanwhile, this is ready, start heating the tortillas.
- When ready add a tablespoon or two of rice and bean mixture to a tortilla, add greens and avocado. Fold as a burrito, first, fold a bit two sides and then completely roll the remaining side. If you’re going to take them with you, wrap in parchment paper and then with foil.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.