This healthy Mexican pasta and veggies soup is a must in every Mexican home. It is the kind of soup that heals, nourishes, and makes everyone happy.
This vegetarian soup is a classic in every Mexican house. And as in all family recipes, everyone has its spin to it. My version of this vegetable soup is a combination of two classic Mexican soups: Sopa de pasta (pasta soup) and Sopa de verduras (Vegetable Soup).
How to make an authentic Mexican soup healthy?
Not all Mexican food is fried or drenched in crema and cheese. In Mexico, we eat a lot of vegetables and non-fried dishes. This vegetable soup is an example. To make this vegetarian soup, you start by blending tomato, onion, and garlic. This is called a caldillo, and it is the base for many Mexican soups. You cook the caldillo until it changes color, and from there, you start adding your veggies and pasta. To make this healthy Mexican pasta and veggies soup I added:
- Diced carrots and peas. I like all my veggies chopped small and even, so when I don’t have that much time to spend chopping carrots, I just slice baby carrots. And for the peas, I usually use frozen ones.
- Chickpeas. Chickpeas add tons of plant-based protein to this soup. You can use canned or homecooked. Either way, be sure to save the aquafaba (chickpea liquid) you can make vegan mayo later.
- Kale. I use kale because I love this nutrient-dense green. But feel free to add any green that you have in the fridge. It will taste great with spinach, or arugula, swiss chard, etc.
- Pasta. You can use any small pasta. I like to use stars or letters. But any other will do. I like to use DeLallo pasta for this soup.
✎TIP Here is a quick post on how to prepare and store kale.
How to eat this Healthy veggies soup?
This is soup perfect for any day. It is ideal on a rainy day, cold day, not feeling good day, sick day, sad day. Once you try it and taste all of its comforting powers, you’ll eat it pretty often.
Here is the recipe for this
healthy Mexican pasta and veggies soup
and I hope you like it. This soup is super comforting, delicious and it really makes you feel better in every bite. Share a picture of your soup on Instagram, Fb or save the recipe for later on Pinterest.
Healthy Mexican pasta and veggie soup
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 1/4 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4-6 cups water
- 3 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1½ cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup small pasta
- 1 sprig of cilantro
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 3 cups of kale washed and chopped
- Blend the tomato, onion, and garlic together with the salt.
- In a pot add the tablespoon of oil and pour the tomato mixture, let it simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- When the tomato and aromatics mixture changes color to a strong red, add the 4 cups of water, carrots, peas, a sprig of cilantro and pasta.
- When the pasta is cooked, add the chickpeas and kale.
- Serve when the kale leaves begins to wilt.
- Check for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Add more water if the soup needs it.
- Serve with lemon juice.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.