This healthy Mexican pasta and veggies soup is a must in every Mexican home. It is the kind of soup that heals, nourishes, and makes everyone happy. Best of all you can make it with what you have in the fridge and have it on the table in under 30 minutes.
About this recipe
This vegetarian soup is a classic in every Mexican house. And as in all family recipes, everyone has their own spin to it. My version of this vegetable soup is a combination of two classic Mexican soups: Sopa de pasta (pasta soup) and Sopa de verduras (Vegetable Soup).
How to make this healthy Mexican soup?
Not all Mexican food is fried or drenched in crema and cheese. In Mexico, we eat a lot of vegetables and non-fried dishes. This vegetable soup is an example.
To make this vegetarian soup, you start by blending tomato, onion, and garlic with water or vegetable broth. This is called a caldillo, and it is the base for many Mexican soups. Simmer the caldillo until it changes color, and from there, you start adding your veggies and pasta. Stir from time to time so the pasta doesn’t clump.
Ingredients of the Mexican vegetable pasta soup
- Diced carrots and peas. I like all my veggies chopped small and even, so when I don’t have that much time to spend chopping carrots, I just slice baby carrots. And for the peas, I usually use frozen ones.
- Kale. I use kale because I love this nutrient-dense green. But feel free to add any green that you have in the fridge. It will taste great with spinach, or arugula, swiss chard, etc.
- Pasta. You can use any small pasta. I like to use stars or letters. But any other will do. I like to use DeLallo pasta for this soup. You can definetly use thin noodles like fideo noodles or vermicelli, even broken spaghetti pieces will work here.
How to add more vegan protein to the soup?
- Chickpeas. Chickpeas add tons of plant-based protein to this soup. You can use canned or homecooked. Either way, be sure to save the aquafaba (chickpea liquid) you can make vegan mayo later or a perfect pavlova.
- Navy beans. Navy beans are great because of the sofit texture and subtlle flavor.
- Lentils. Lentils are also packed with vegan protien and have fiber and tons of other nutrients. The great benefit of adding them is that they cook pretty fast.
✎TIP Here is a quick post on how to prepare and store kale.
How to eat this Healthy veggies soup?
A good big bowl of this soup is perfect for any day. It is ideal on a rainy day, cold day, not feeling good day, sick day, sad day. Once you try it and taste all of its comforting powers, you’ll eat it pretty often.
Serve with lemon or lime juice and maybe a good spoonful of any Mexican salsa if you want to spice it up a bit. And with a good avocado taco with corn tortilla or even a piece of a good crusty bread or from a homemade loaf.
Other recipes that you may like:
Here is the recipe for this healthy Mexican pasta and veggies soup and I hope you like it. This soup is super comforting, delicious and it really makes you feel better in every bite. Share a picture of your soup on Instagram, Fb or save the recipe for later on Pinterest.
Healthy Mexican pasta and veggie soup
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 1/4 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4-6 cups water
- 3 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1½ cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup small pasta
- 1 sprig of cilantro
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 3 cups of kale washed and chopped
- Blend the tomato, onion, and garlic together with the salt.
- In a pot add the tablespoon of oil and pour the tomato mixture, let it simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- When the tomato and aromatics mixture changes color to a strong red, add the 4 cups of water, carrots, peas, a sprig of cilantro and pasta.
- When the pasta is cooked, add the chickpeas and kale.
- Serve when the kale leaves begins to wilt.
- Check for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Add more water if the soup needs it.
- Serve with lemon juice.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.