This recipe for kale sandwich is one of my favorite
When I made this sandwich for the first time at home it was an undeniable success. I hit a home run!! It is a happy ending but it wasn’t a hit at first. When I told the kids what I was going to serve they almost fell off their chairs and started to complain. Sergio liked the kale sandwich idea from the beginning, but the kids didn’t stop complaining until they tasted it… and then they immediately loved it.
When they were finished they asked me when I was going to make it again. Yes! Victory! Now I keep kale, white beans, and red pepper in the fridge so they can easily make their own sandwiches. I know that when they get hungry they want something fast and easy to make so I want to provide something fast and nutritious. I love spending time in the kitchen…but I also know my kids don’t… maybe when they are older.
That’s why I love to have things they like ready in the fridge so they get in the habit of eating healthy. This way they can put some mustard, the kale combo, into the little oven it goes and it’s ready. It is a good departure from eating bread and peanut butter. I’m always curious to know if they like to eat that because it’s so easy to make or because they really love it…
You can make this kale sandwich with any type of greens and you can use any type of beans even garbanzo beans if you like. I love white beans because they are super creamy. I love when you take that first bite and taste and feel how all the flavors and textures are perfectly combined and how it tastes absolutely incredible!! You can also experiment and try lentils if you want.
Here are other recipe ideas for a healthy and delicious vegan lunch:
So here is the recipe for this
It is so ridiculously yummy and I hope you like it very, very, very much! If you do please share the recipe and my blog on Instagram, FB or save it for later on Pinterest.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of red bell pepper roasted and diced, I use red bell peppers from a jar
- 11/2 cup of white beans or navy beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 handfuls of kale or spinach
- 8 slices of bread baguette or rustic
- dijon mustard to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and leave it there until translucent, add the pepper and the beans.
- Leave in the pan for two or three minutes and add the salt.
- Start putting the kale leaves and let them wilt. If they do not fit all at once, add them little by little. First one handful, then the other and so on.
- Before making the sandwich, make sure there is no liquid in the pan.
- To make the sandwich, toast two slices of bread. When they are ready, spread dijon on each side and top it with one or two tablespoons of the sauteed kale mixture.