This recipe for a healthy kale sandwich is one of my favorite
How to make a vegan Sandwich?
It is very very easy, instead of thinking of ham and other cold cuts think of legumes and vegetables. You do have to check for the bread and spreadings to make sure they are vegan, so read your labels. Here is a list of the most common ones:
- Raw veggies. You can easily make a sandwich with grated raw vegetables like carrots and beets. Use hummus or guacamole as a spread.
- Roasted vegetables. I love a good baguette sliced in half, with a spread of pesto or romesco sauce on one side and then tons of roasted vegetables.
- Vegetable and beans mix. Or you can make a vegetable and bean mix as this healthy kale sandwich.
Ingredients for this vegan kale sandwich
- Onion. Chopped onions, I like yellow onions but any onion will work fine.
- Red bell pepper. Roasted red bell pepper, you can roast it and cut it your self or use it from a jar or can. To tell you the truth, I love the jarred ones and I always have them handy and ready.
- Navy beans. The same case as with the red bell peppers, use canned or jarred. If you cook them at home cook them until soft, but not completely mushy.
- Kale. Use baby kale, dinosaur kale, or any other kale that you have at home. To prepare it, just wash it, pat dry and remove the thicker parts of the stems.
- Bread. Use a good tasty and crusty bread. I love baguette, a no-knead homemade bread, or a good rustic loaf.
✎TIP •This kale, white beans, and red pepper mix can be prepare ahead of time and can be stored in the fridge. •Use spinach, mustard greens or any other greens to prepare this sandwich. •Use chickpeas or lentils if you don't have navy beans.
Here are other recipe ideas for a healthy and delicious vegan lunch:
So here is the recipe for this healthy and vegan kale sandwich that is so ridiculously yummy and I hope you like it very, very, very much! If you do please share the recipe and my blog on Instagram, FB or save it for later on Pinterest.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper roasted and diced, I use red bell peppers from a jar
- 1 ½ cup navy beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 handfuls of kale or spinach
- 8 slices of bread baguette or rustic
- dijon mustard to taste
- vegan mayo
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and leave it there until translucent, add the pepper and the beans.
- Leave in the pan for two or three minutes and add the salt.
- Start putting the kale leaves and let them wilt. If they do not fit all at once, add them little by little. First one handful, then the other and so on.
- Before making the sandwich, make sure there is no liquid in the pan.
- To make the sandwich, toast two slices of bread. When they are ready, spread dijon on each side and top it with one or two tablespoons of the sauteed kale mixture.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.