I think homemade granola is one of my favorite treats not only because it is so tasty, but also because it makes my house smell incredible. Kind of funny, right?
There are days that I am blocked and can’t think of what to serve for breakfast. Even though I try hard to think of something delicious and nutritious I can’t think of anything.
Even though I’m 100% a morning person sometimes trying to problem solve what to serve for breakfast, that early is not my thing. It’s horrible!!!
That is why I love homemade granola so much. It is very easy to make, it is healthy and extremly delicious.
What exactly is granola?
Granola is a mix between rolled oats, dried fruit, and nuts and/or seeds. This mix is sweetened with brown sugar, maple syrup, or honey (not vegan). You can also add any flavoring to it, like vanilla, spices, or fruit or vegetable purees.
Granola is usually baked.
Best way to eat granola.
I love having homemade granola at home because when I have run out of ideas for breakfast, it always saves the day. The best ways to eat it are:
- With homemade almond milk
- Over a smoothie bowl
- As a snack
- Or you can make breakfast paletas with yogurt, fruit, and granola
This is truly one of our household favorites because it is always different. Every time I make it I change it up a little. I love using mixed nuts, dried fruits, or spices…anything to give it a different twist. Sometimes I like to serve it with almond milk (like cereal), sometimes with coconut yogurt, on top of the fruit, but it tastes wonderful by itself.
Here is the super simple recipe for this
Share your comments and questions in the comment section below. I would be great if you could rate it as well.
- 4 cups oats
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated and sugar-free
- 1 cup of walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup of dried apricots *optional
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds *optional
- 1/4 cup chia seeds *optional
- one pinch of sea salt
- Turn oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, mix oats, nuts, coconut, raisins, seeds, honey, and oil. When everything is well mixed, put it on a tray for the oven and cover it with baking paper
- Leave it in for about 25-30 minutes. The trick is to be aware of the perfect cooking point for the granola. You know it’s done when you can stir the grains on the tray, and they feel loose and not damp and sticky.
- When the grains are loose take it out of the oven and let it cool down. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and store it in a jar in the cupboard.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.