Have you ever tried chiles
These chiles are super easy to make and you’ll find them in a lot of menus in restaurants in Mexico City. You’ll find them in taquerías, in sushi restaurants, or even in fancier restaurants. But I guess there is not an accurate translation for chiles toreados en English.
How to make chiles toreados?
To make them, you just have to sautée some onion on a little bit of oil, then you add the chiles serranos or jalapeños until blistered and finish this magical mix of ingredients with lime juice, a pinch of salt, and soy sauce.
You have to belive me it is heaven.
Let me give you some ideas on what and how you can eat these chiles
The best way to eat Chiles toreados:
- I love this Mexican salsa on hummus, I know, it is a total mix of cuisines but it is delicious. I make my hummus at home, but you can use storebought hummus. You just serve the hummus in a bowl and finish it with this salsa and chips or pita chips on the side.
- Hummus toast. Spread some hummus to a piece of toast and then add a spoonful of prepared chiles serranos.
- Eat them over white or brown rice, or any grain that needs a boost of flavor.
- Eat them with steamed or roasted veggies, or with grilled vegetables.
- My favorite way to eat them. On top of brown rice, baked or grilled tofu, grilled vegetables, and all finished with a spoonful or two of this magical salsa.
- They also taste amazing over fried rice, sushi, or noodles.
- Best way to make them. I like to use a cast-iron skillet to make my chiles toreados.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil I use avocado oil
- ½ about 1 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper or two serrano peppers sliced into large pieces
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- Pinch of salt
- In a pan put the oil and onion, when the onion begins to brown, add the sliced peppers. Leave until golden, about 5 minutes.
- When they are ready, put them in a jar, add the tablespoon of lime juice, a pinch of salt and the soy sauce.
- Test for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.