Make eating healthy, fun, and delicious with this super easy kale salad recipe. This is the best way to make a kale salad that the whole family will love; add all of your family’s favorite toppings to it! This salad is vegan, gluten-free, flavorful, perfect as an entree or side dish, or pair it with your favorite protein for a light and energizing lunch.
Kale is full of antioxidants and full of many other nutrients that protect us from several types of cancer. It has a lot of iron, even more so than meat. Kale has a lot of fiber that helps to clean and detoxify our bodies. The omega-3 content gives our brain the nutrients it needs for top performance, and if that wasn’t enough, kale also lowers our risk of getting type 2 diabetes.
What are the benefits of kale?
Kale has protein and a perfect balance of magnesium and calcium, and when you add a little lemon juice to it, you can absorb the calcium much better. And it also has vitamin A, K, and a lot of vitamin C. Why kale?? Because kale is delicious! Just look at the picture. Don’t you wish you could have a bowl of this salad right in front of you to taste it?
Tips and tricks to prepare this salad:
- Choose smaller leaves for freshness and milder flavor.
- Look for crisp, green leaves without yellow spots or holes
- Cut off the stems but do not toss them away. Use them for juicing, or for soups.
- If your family does not like kale at all… start slow. Start by adding less kale and more veggies or combine it with spinach or other greens.
- For this salad, I prefer green kale. For sauteeing or baking, I use tuscan kale, dinosaur kale or purple kale.
- Here is the recipe for my kale pesto that is so good you realy need to try. You can make it with almonds or with walnuts, or even pecans.
How to remove the kale leaves from the stem?
How to massage kale leaves to make them softer?
After washing them, pat them dry and roll them in a clean kitchen towel.
Other recipes that you may like:
Some variations for the salad
- In a large bowl whisk first the lemon juice, soy sauce, and oil. Then add the curly kale or lacinto kale leaves and start massaging them until soft.
- Finish the salad with the seeds and nuts of your choice. Toasted almonds, walnuts or pumpkin seeds will work best here.
- You can even finish it with cooked or toasted quinoa for an extra boost of vegetable protein. A good pinch of freshly grated black pepper will also go a long way here.
- Or use other grains like farro, brown rice or even edamames or other beans.
- If you want it to be more flavorful use lemon zest, thinly sliced red onions or crumble some baked tofu vegan feta cheese on top.
This is the recipe for THE BEST KALE SALAD. It is very easy to make and perfect for a summer day. If you like it, please share it and my blog. Please don’t forget to tag me with @pilloncilloyvainilla when you share your creations on FB or Instagram so I can see how they turned out or save them on Pinterest for later.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or a rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
- A bunch of kale
- 1 teaspoon olive almond or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 or 3 carrots julienned
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 avocado diced
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 radish thinly sliced
- In a big salad bowl, put the washed kale leaves torn into bite-size pieces. Add the salt and teaspoon of olive oil and massage them; this helps to soften them up.
- When the leaves look a little “wilted” put the rest of the ingredients. Mix carefully and serve immediately
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.