This is the best way to make vegan hot chocolate. This chocolate is perfect, thick, and with the ideal amount of sugar. Finish this hot chocolate with your favorite toppings. A quick warning though, this etreamly delicious hot chocolate is not made with cocoa powder.
This vegan hot chocolate is ultra rich and decadent. On it’s own is a complete dessert and the perfect beverage for cold days, aprés skiing or any other day you need a hot beverage on a winter day.
This hot chocolate is ready in fifteen minutes and it is completely customizable. The base has only three ingredients!
Ingredients to make the best vegan homemade hot chocolate
- Milk, dairy-free milk. You can prepare this hot vegan beverage with any vegetable milk that you like or that you have at home. The one I like the most is almond milk or oat milk.
- Chocolate. Look for dark, sugar-free chocolate. It is better if you foind a chocolate bar with cocoa content above 60%.
- Cane sugar. It is better if you add it little by little until it tastes perfect for you. The amount I suggest in the recipe is just that, a suggestion.
💡How to choose the best chocolate? • Normally the higher percentage of cocoa the chocolate you choose has, the closer it is to its natural state. And if you get it organic, even better. • As in everything you buy, the less ingredients you have the better. • Look for a chocolate that sugar is not the first ingredient. The less sugar you have, the better. • Buy a chocolate bar that contains fat from cocoa butter or coconut oil. Don't buy chocolates with hydrogenated fats.
How to make hot chocolate at home?
- There is only one step to make this thick, delicious, and hot vegan chocolate. You have to combine in a medium-small saucepan the dairy-free milk with the chopped dark chocolate and sugar and let it simmer over low heat.
- Mix or whisk until everything is well integrated. Sometimes dairy free milk can separate, do not worry it is normal.
- Finish with vegan whipped cream, crushed candy canes, vegan marshmallows ( dandies), sprinkles, chocolate chips or your favorite toppings.
Some tips for success
- Don’t make the hot cocoa too sweet if you’re using whipped cream and mints to finish it up.
- You can use other sweetmners like coconut sugar, maple sugar or maple syrup
- Use a big mug so you have room for extra toppings without making a mess😉.
- If you want to give the flavor a twist, add a teaspoon of vanilla extract, peppermint extract, drizzle caramel or a tablespoon of almond butter or even peanut butter will taste amazing here.
- If you don’t like almond or oat milk, try it with soy milk, cashew milk or for a cremier version use coconut milk.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of chile ancho if you want to make it more like a Mexican hot chocolate.
- This recipe is best made on the stove, the microwave is nt a good option here.
Here are other recipes that you may like:
So here is the recipe for this vegan homemade and delicious hot chocolate which is thick and creamy and everything you can imagine in a cup of cocoa .
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and a rating of this recipe in the section below. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
Vegan hot chocolate
- 4 qt pot
- 4 cups almond milk
- 5-6 ounces dark or semi-sweet chocolate
- 4-6 tablespoons of sugar
- pinch of salt
- coconut or other vegan whipped cream
- crushed peppermint candy canes
- shaved chocolate
- Chop the chocolate as small as you can.
- Heat the milk on the stove over medium heat. When it is very hot and about to boil add the chopped chocolate, sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix until completely melted and well integrated.
- If you want, you can beat it with an immersion blender or in the blender to make the mixture more homogeneous.
- Serve in cups, add a tablespoon of coconut whipped cream, and sprinkle the pieces of the crushed peppermint candy canes on top.
The amount of chocolate and sugar depends on you, how chocolaty and sweet you like this drink.
If you have any leftover whipped cream, store it in a jar in the refrigerator.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.