This is the easiest way to make authentic Mexican refried beans in no time at all. With this recipe, you will have the best vegan, creamy and delicious refried beans ever.
My kids get so excited when they find refried beans in the fridge. They love to have taquitos, sopes or tostadas for breakfast. Fried beans are so versatile and so delicious we never get tired of them.
I do have to confess that before discovering this new, fast and modern way to make refried beans I sometime got a bit lazy and didn’t make them as often. 🙈
But when I discovered that in half an hour, I could have my Mexican refried beans ready, even my kids told me … How come we never thought of making refried beans like this?
And yes, it was a huge discovery for me. If you have an Instant Pot at home, you already know how amazing they are. I make pea soup, I cook my chickpeas for hamburgers, taquitos, sandwiches, and patties, I make healthy bean soup, etc. I use my Instant Pot a lot.
But this new way of making my vegan, authentic and super healthy refried beans is probably my favorite way to use the Instant Pot. I am obsessed on how easy, mess-free I make my refried beans now.
How to make refried beans fast?
For this method it is a must to have an Instant Pot.
- Turn the pot on in the sauté function. When the bottom is hot, add the oil and the chopped onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onion begins to brown.
- Add the beans and water, cover the pot, move the valve to the sealing position, and hit the beans function. Set the time for 20 minutes. When the cycle ends, let the steam out naturally.
- Uncover the pot, add a good pinch of salt and immersion blender , blend the beans until they have the right consistency.
tips, tricks and other ideas
- If you want to know more about how to cook all kinds of legumes, I wrote a post with more information, find it here.
- I don’t always soak the beans, but I do think it is better to soak them. If you are going to use this method to make easy refried beans, follow the same steps.
- If you soak the beans, they will creamier.
- It is important to always use good quality beans, look for stores that sell fresh beans, and try to find the heirloom varieties.
- Stores that sell beans in bulk usually have fresher beans.
- Remember that refried beans, when you reheat them, can dry a little. Add a bit of water if you want a looser consistency.
- If they are too watery, do not worry and cook them a little longer to dry them out.
- For this post, I used pinto beans, but it works with any type of bean.
- You can serve these Mexican refried beans as a side dish for hibiscus tacos, crispy potato tacos, vegan pambazos or to make sopes.
- They also taste delicious if you heat a corn or flour tortilla, put some beans and a good tablespoon of salsa verde.
So here is the recipe for the easiest
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups pinto beans or black beans
- 4 cups water
- pinch of salt
- Set the Instant Pot in the sauté function. Add the oil and onion. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the onion begins to brown.
- Add beans, water, and cover. Close the valve to the sealing set and program the Instant pot to the beans function, set the time for 20 minutes in the normal setting.
- When the pot beeps turn it off. Open the valve to release steam, and when the safety button is down, open it.
- Add a good pinch of salt and with an immersion blender blend the beans until you achieve the consistency you like.