Picadillo is a classic Mexican dish; every household has its version of it, this lentil picadillo is my version, my home’s version. This post is sponsored by Brandless. The recipe, pictures, and opinions are all mine.
This lentil picadillo is the type of recipe that makes me and my family feel at home. Picadillo is a classic dish in Mexico, and it is the type of dish that every family has its recipe. You know, the kind of recipes that are passed through generation from generation. I grew up eating picadillo cooked in tomato sauce, but at my friend’s house, it was without tomato.
There are homes where they do not add any vegetables and in others like in mine… vegetables are a must. This is my version of picadillo, it is vegan lentil picadillo, and it is the recipe that I want to pass over to my kids and future generations.
I love this lentil picadillo tacos recipe, and I also like how easy it is to prepare it. This time it even took me even less time to make it because I used products from Brandless.
Have you heard about brandless? Brandless is a company that makes AMAZING PRODUCTS without a “brand.” They are focused on delivering to our door the best quality products at the best price ever. I mean THREE DOLLARS or SIX DOLLARS?
Yes! And most of their products are organic, NON-GMO free and really DELICIOUS.
They have food products, household and kitchen, beauty and personal care, and stationery. The website is easy to navigate and fun too.
So here is the recipe for these
lentil picadillo tacos
and I hope you like them as much as we do. This recipe is an authentic Mexican filled with delicious and comforting flavors. Serve it with brown or white rice, in flour or corn tortillas, make this recipe yours. But if you make it, take a picture of it and post it on Instagram with @piloncilloyvainilla. I love to see all your creations!
Lentil picadillo tacos
- 1 tablespoon neutral tasting oil
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce or puree
- 8 oz vegetable broth
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped fine
- 1-2 potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 in pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 dried bay leave
- 1 teaspoon salt
- *optional 1 cup water
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado sliced and peeled
- chunky salsa
- Sauté the garlic and onion in the vegetable oil for three minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the lentils, the tomato sauce, the vegetable broth, the vegetables, the thyme, marjoram, bay leaf, and salt.
- *add an extra cup of water if it is to dry
- Cover and let it cook for 20 min or until the lentils are cooked.
- Heat the corn tortillas and add two or three tablespoons of the picadillo on the tortilla.
- To finish each taco, add a slice of avocado and some salsa.