Picadillo is a classic Mexican dish. It is the type of recipe that gets passed by generation through generation. Every family has its version of it; this lentil picadillo recipe is my version, my home’s version, a vegan version.
What is picadillo?
The name of the picadillo comes from the verb picar (to chop) in Spanish. Picadillo is when everything is chopped really, really small. The original recipe for the classic Mexican dish is made with minced meat or with ground meat. Mexican picadillo normally has potatoes and can be cooked in red or white sauce. At my house, it was always made with potatoes, carrots, and peas and with tomato sauce.
There are families where they just add diced potatoes and in others like in mine… vegetables are a must. This is my version of picadillo, it is vegan lentil picadillo, and it is the recipe that I want to pass over to my kids and future generations.
How to make picadillo?
To make vegan picadillo is super easy you just have to replace the meat with lentils. You can continue using your family’s recipe with lentils or try my recipe with potatoes, carrots, and peas.
But one thing is for sure; you have to believe me that making picadillo is super easy.
- First step. Brown the chopped onion and garlic in little oil.
- Second step. Add the dried lentils, the vegetable stock, the tomato puree, and the sweet herbs. Cover and leave until ready.
- Third step. Enjoy the lentil picadillo in the way that you like the most.
✎TIP One of the easiest ways to substitute meat and make vegan dishes is to exchange the meat for lentils or other legumes. • Look at this example of Italian meatball sandwiches with tomato sauce. The meatballs are made with lentils and are delicious. 😉
How to serve Mexican picadillo?
You can serve the picadillo with or on top of rice (in my house, we eat it with brown rice), or you can make tacos with corn tortillas or flour tortillas.
Either way, you serve them to finish it with a few slices of avocado and a few drops of Mexican salsa verde.
So here is the recipe for these and I hope you like them as much as we do. This recipe is an authentic Mexican filled with delicious and comforting flavors. Serve it with brown or white rice, in flour or corn tortillas, make this recipe yours. But if you make it, take a picture of it and post it on Instagram with @piloncilloyvainilla. I love to see all your creations!
Lentil picadillo tacos
- 1 tablespoon neutral tasting oil
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce or puree
- 8 oz vegetable broth
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped fine
- 1-2 potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 in pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 dried bay leave
- 1 teaspoon salt
- *optional 1 cup water
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado sliced and peeled
- chunky salsa
- Sauté the garlic and onion in the vegetable oil for three minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the lentils, the tomato sauce, the vegetable broth, the vegetables, the thyme, marjoram, bay leaf, and salt.
- *add an extra cup of water if it is to dry
- Cover and let it cook for 20 min or until the lentils are cooked.
- Heat the corn tortillas and add two or three tablespoons of the picadillo on the tortilla.
- To finish each taco, add a slice of avocado and some salsa.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.