Mango and strawberry paletas or ice pops are a refreshing treat for any season. Here’s the recipe for making your own healthy frozen fruit popsicles. Learn how to make your own paletas here.
What are paletas?
Paletas are a Mexican frozen treat made with fresh and natural fruits, or creamy and rich ingredients like chocolate (chocolate paletas) or coconut milk. The translation of paletas in English would be ice pops, even though it is not the same, it is close enough.
Paletas in Mexico, are available at many paleterías (ice cream parlors), one of the most popular is the Michoacana. The most common flavors are mango, lime, horchata, strawberry, and watermelon.
2 Ingredient paletas
Only two ingredients: very ripe mangos and five strawberries. I don’t use sugar, but if you want you can add a bit to them. Mangos are so, so sweet that you barely need sugar to make the paletas.
🔥 When is mango season? Mangoes are in season through May to September, but you can find imported or frozen mangoes all-year long.
How do you make paletas (mango with strawberries)?
The key to making the best mango paletas is to blend two ripe medium mangoes with a bit of water until you have a loose purée. Taste and add sugar if needed, a tablespoon at a time.
Pour the mango puree into the ice pop mold, put some strawberry slices into each paleta (popsicle mold), place the popsicle sticks or wooden sticks, and freeze overnight.
Tips for making the best mexican paletas
- Check on the quality of your ingredients. Always use fresh, ripe and delicious fruit. Taste before freezing.
- But, if you are in a hurry, you can always use frozen mangoes.
- If you want to brighten the mango flavor add a bit of lime juice to the mix. This make them extra delicious.
- If you want to give these straberry mango paletas a twist sprinkle them with a little chili powder, like Tajin or drizzle with homemade chamoy.
- If you are serving these to adults, serve with a glass of white wine or tequila for dipping.
Other recipes that you may like:
Mango and strawberry paletas (ice-pops)
- 1 ice pop mold
- 12 wooden sticks
- 2 mangoes, peeled, and diced (about 2 pounds)
- 5 strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tablespoons of sugar optional
- Blend the mangoes, cup water and sugar, if you're using.
- Slice the strawberries.
- Pour the mango mixture into a mold of ice popsicles and add a few sliced strawberries.
- Freeze overnight.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.