This Mexican chickpea soup (garbanzo soup) is the kind of soup that makes you feel good. This soup will bring you back to life whenever you need a boost. This vegan garbanzo beans soup is healthy, easy to prepare, and loved by my family.
About this Mexican garbanzo soup
This recipe for vegan / vegetarian chickpea soup with carrots and tomato broth is such a simple soup that you can finish it in many ways.
I put all my finishings toppings at the center of the table, and each one of us finished the soup.
Ingredients to make the Mexican garbanzo soup:
- Mexican caldillo. This broth is the base of this and many other Mexican soups. It is made by blending tomatoes, onion, and garlic with a bit of salt.
- Then cooked with or without vegetable oil until it changes color from a deep orange to a dark red. This caldillo can be used to make a sopa de fideo or for Sinaloa-style tacos dorados.
- Carrots. Peel and chop your carrots to the size you like the most. A huge time-saver tip is to use frozen carrots.
- Chickpeas. Use the ones you have at home if you have canned, jarred, or home-cooked.
How to make Mexican chickpea soup?
Start by making the tomato base broth, caldillo; then, you will still be delicious if the chickpeas and the carrots. You add slowly more water or vegetable broth, cover, and let it cook until the carrots are tender and your soup.
How to finish this vegan Mexican soup?
The best part of having such a clean and straightforward soup is that you can finish it any way you want to. You can make it spicy, crunchy, more flavorful, or keep it as is.
- Lime. Everything finished with a touch of lime juice gets kicked up a notch. Lime juice gives it acidity and brightens up any flavor. So, for me, lime juice is non-negotiable for this soup. For Mexican recipes, I do prefer limes over lemons.
- Avocado. You can finish it up with diced or sliced avocado.
- Red Onion.
- Oregano. Dried or fresh oregano.
- Cilantro. Chopped, fresh, or cooked in the chickpea broth.
- Chile. Serrano chile, chipotle chile, or jalapeño.
- Corn tortillas or tortilla chips.
Give this recipe a twist
- Add some cooked quinoa before serving if you want a more substantial soup.
- Add a bunch of spinach if you want to eat your greens here.
- Add all the vegetables that you like.
- You can even add some pasta to cook in there.
This easy garbanzo bean soup is one of our favorite soups, and I hope it also becomes yours. Here are other Mexican soups that you may like:
- Lentil Soup
- Vegan smoky tomato soup
- Mexican vegetable soup
- Authentic tortilla soup
- Sopa de fideo
- Caldo de Pollo, vegan chicken soup
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Mexican chickpea soup
- 4 qt Soup pot
- 4 medium / large tomatoes
- ½ onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4-6 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 cups cooked chickpea
- pinch of salt
To serve * optional
- lime juice
- tortilla chips
- Blend the tomato, onion, and garlic in a blender. Add a quarter cup water to run the blender if needed.
- Add this caldillo in your soup pot and leave it over medium heat to simmer until it changes color.
- Optional: put a tablespoon of neutral-flavored oil to heat before adding the caldillo is a soup pot.
- Lower the heat and add salt.
- Add the chickpeas and carrots and the water or vegetable broth. I like to put it little by little and test it before adding more.
- Cover it and leave it for another 5-10 min.
- Serve as you wish.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This recipe appeared first on BrownSugar&Vanilla on 2013.