This recipe for Mexican Christmas salad is easy to prepare, authentic, delicious, and a MUST in our Holiday menu and many more Mexican families. This salsa is crunchy, tart, and perfect as a side for the other holiday dishes.
Mexican christmas dishes
In Mexico we have our big celebration on Christmas Eve, we have dinner, we exchange presents with family and friends. We dance, we eat, we chat, and we have the best of times. We usually start around 8:00 pm, and it turns into a party that ends late into the night.
On Christmas day, after opening Santa Claus presents, we usually return to the house where dinner was held, and we go for the “recalentado.” This means that we eat the leftovers from the day before usually transformed into “tortas”, soups or sometimes tacos.
For me, as a kid, this day was always the best day of the celebration. We got to play with our new toys; we got to eat great food (yes, leftovers were still fantastic, even this apple salad) and enjoy each other’s company without the rush or stress of the night before.
My grandmother made this salad every Christmas Eve; she always prepared a double batch because she knew we would ask for seconds on both days. On our menu, you would also find creamy red bell pepper pasta, Turkey (which I never ate), stuffing, a dish made with dried cod named bacalao, cranberry sauce, and sometimes a beet and orange salad.
Mexican Christmas apple salad ingredients
The ingredients for this Mexican Christmas salad are really simple and easy to find. And, there is no unique or difficult cooking technique to prepare it. The only secret is that you have to find the best apples around, the crunchier and sweeter the better.
- Canned pineapple
- Mayonaise, I use homemade vegan mayo
How to make the salad? To make this apple salad you just have to mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST CHRISTMAS SALAD
- Ingredients. This salad is very easy to make, but it is important that all the ingredients have good quality and that the apples are fresh and very crisp.
- Size of fruits and vegetables. It is also important to chop the pineapple and apple about the same size. The celery and walnuts can go much smaller, so each bite you take is going to be a perfect combination of flavors.
- To peel or not to peel the apples. I don’t peel the apples, I really like the color combination and the peel doesn’t bother me. But as I always tell you, it is important that you cook to your liking and that of your family.
How to store the salad
This salad can be easily stored in the fridge in a container, it will last up to three days. This salad cannot be frozen but it can be prepared ahead of time without a problem.
Other recipes that you may like
So here is the recipe for this Mexican Christmas salad and I hope you start enjoying it now. You don’t have to wait until Christmas to eat it. Enjoy it now as a side dish for a sandwich, or on top of a quinoa bowl, either way, it is delicious.
If you make it, don’t forget to take a picture of it and post it on FB or Instagram. I love seeing your creations! Save it on Pinterest if you are going to make this later and please rate it with 5 stars.
Mexican Christmas salad
- Cutting board
- Salad bowl
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 cup diced canned pineapple, strained
- 3 Apples cored and diced
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or vegenaise
- pinch of sea salt
- finely chopped parsley
- In a bowl mix carefully all the ingredients but the parsley. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Transfer the salad to a platter and finish with the chopped parsley.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This post has been sponsored by Autumn Glory Apple by Superfresh Growers – all opinions are my own.