This recipe for Mexican lentil soup is an authentic Mexican recipe. It is delicious and straightforward to prepare. This vegan lentil soup is a winner recipe with my family.
💥Lentils are so easy to cook 💥 The best thing about this soup is that it is made on the stove, so you do not need a pressure cooker, slow cook, or anything complicated. This vegan soup is delicious and you will not believe how easy it is to make.
This Mexican lentil soup is the soup that I used to eat as a kid, and I always loved it. Now I prepare it for my kids, and it is one of the meals that they like the most and I know it has all the nutrients they need to grow strong and healthy.
HOW TO MAKE THE LENTIL SOUP?
The seceret of this vegetable lentil soup is the base. I like to start this soup by sauteeing a mirepoix in a little bit of olive oil and a good pinch of salt. Then and the rest of the ingredients… and wow… the layers of flavor shine through in a fantastic way.
- You start by sautéing carrot, celery and chopped onion in olive oil and with a pinch of salt. Then you add the dried lentils, the aromatics, dried herbs, and the tomato puree.
- Let it simmer and check it, leave until soft. I serve it with chopped parsley but with any other fresh herb will taste good. When I was growing up my mom finished the soup with diced apples.
CAN THE SOUP BE FREEZED?
Yes. I love this lentil soup recipe because you can double it and freeze it. You can also serve it another day of the week with a tablespoon of brown rice, to switch it a bit and it will always taste good.
But if you decide to keep it longer, don’t worry, it is one of the dishes that the more you leave in the refrigerator or freezer, the richer it tastes.
TIPS & TRICKS TO MAKE THE BEST LENTIL SOUP
- Like I told you before, lentils are a great legume. For example, you don’t have to soak them. I do rinse them though.
- You can add spinach, kale, broccoli, etc. to this soup. Whatever you want or have in the fridge.
- This soup is perfect with natural tomato, with canned tomato, roasted tomato, etc. Whichever tomato base you choose, it will taste good.
BENEFITS & TYPES OF LENTILS
- Lentils are one of the easiest and fastest legumes to prepare. It is not necessary to soak them, and you can cook them together with the sauce (or caldillo) and the rest of the vegetables.
- Lentils are wonderful, they are full of iron, protein, minerals, vitamin B and the best thing is that they do not have saturated fat. Can you imagine how many nutrients and good things you are eating with this soup? Many.
- There are many types of lentils but the most common is the light green and large in size like the one seen in the photo. Those are the ones I used to make the soup. There are also the Beluga lentils, the French green du Puy type, the orange, and yellow lentils.
✎ One of the questions I get the most as a vegan diet follower is:
Where do you get your protein and iron?
And I always answer that it comes from soups like this. Lentils are fantastic in every way. They are straightforward to cook; they are filled with benefits and are a vital source of protein and iron.
I like to prepare this lentil soup is with green lentils and a bunch of veggies. This way, I am doubling up the benefits of nutrition and flavor. Don’t you think?
OTHER RECIPES WITH plant-based PROTEIN:
As I told you before lentils have many healthy properties and protein. Here are other vegetables and recipes that are equally nutritious:
➡︎ Broccoli: you can eat it raw, roasted in a salad or my favorite, vegan and creamy broccoli soup.
➡︎ Spinach. It is wonderful in soups like this Mexican soup with chickpeas or in a salad they taste super delicious.
➡︎ Peas are the best, put them in a vegetable soup, this soup or if they are dry prepare a soup
➡︎ Kale also has many good things. Put them in your smoothie, chopped in a salad or a soup.
So here is the recipe for this
Mexican lentil soup
and if you like it, please share the recipe and the blog. I would love to see it on Instagram or Fb when you make it. So please share your creations with the #piloncilloyvainilla and @piloncilloyvainilla so I can see it. And if you are not making it right now, save it for later on Pinterest.
VEGAN LENTIL MEXICAN SOUP
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 big pinch of salt
- 1 1 / 2 cups dried green lentils
- 4 large tomatoes pureed
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- In a large pot over low heat put the olive oil, carrot, celery, onion and a good pinch of salt. Leave for a few minutes or until the vegetables soften.
- Put the garlic and let three more minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and leave for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Be careful not to overcook the lentils so they do not lose their shape.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.