This recipe for Mexican lentil soup, an authentic Mexican recipe, is delicious and very easy to prepare.
This Mexican lentil soup is the kind of soup that we all Mexicans ate growing up. It is the soup that I used to eat as a kid, and I always loved it. Now I prepare it for my kids, and it is one of the meals that they like the most. I feel pretty confident to feed them this type of dishes. This type of vegan recipes have everything they need to grow strong and healthy.
One of the questions I get the most as a vegan diet follower is:
Where do you get your protein and iron? And I always answer that it comes from soups like this.
Lentils are fantastic in every way. They are very easy to cook, they are filled with benefits, and are a vital source of protein and iron. How I like to prepare this lentil soup is with green lentils and a bunch of veggies. This lentil soup has double the benefits of nutrition and flavor.
To prepare it, I like to start this soup by sauteeing a mirepoix: onion, celery, and carrots in a little bit of olive oil and a good pinch of salt. Then and the rest of the ingredients… and wow… the layers of flavor shine through in a fantastic way.
Really, it is that easy! Here is the recipe for this
Mexican lentil soup
and if you like it, please share the recipe and the blog. I would love to see it on Instagram or Fb so if you make it. So please share your creations with the #piloncilloyvainilla and @piloncilloyvainilla so I can see it. And if you are not making it right now, save it for later on Pinterest.
VEGAN LENTIL MEXICAN SOUP
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 big pinch of salt
- 1 1 / 2 cups dried green lentils
- 4 large tomatoes pureed
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- In a large pot over low heat put the olive oil, carrot, celery, onion and a good pinch of salt. Leave for a few minutes or until the vegetables soften.
- Put the garlic and let three more minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and leave for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Be careful not to overcook the lentils so they do not lose their shape.
- RECIPE NOTES
- It's ready when the lentils are soft.
- Be careful not to overcook the lentils, so they do not lose their shape.
- For the mirepoix, calculate that you have more or less the same amount of onion, carrot, and celery.
This recipe was originally posted in 2015.