This recipe for Mexican lentil soup is delicious and very easy to prepare.
And this is the soup that I used to eat as a kid, and I always loved it. Now I prepare it for my kids, and it is one of the meals that they like the most. I feel pretty confident to feed them this type of dishes; it has everything they need in a bowl.
One of the questions I get the most as a vegan diet follower is: Where do you get your protein and iron from? And I always answer that it comes from soups like this.
Lentils are fantastic in every way. They are very easy to cook, they are filled with benefits, and are a vital source of protein and iron. I prepare this Mexican lentil soup with green lentils and add a bunch more of other veggies. So it has double the benefits nutrition and flavor wise.
Related content: Vegan French onion soup
This soup starts with a basic mirepoix: minced carrots, onion, and celery sauteed in olive oil with a pinch of salt. Then you add the lentils, some herbs, and the tomato puree. Really, it is that easy, here is the recipe for this
Mexican lentil soup
VEGAN LENTIL MEXICAN SOUP
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 big pinch of salt
- 1 1 / 2 cups dried green lentils
- 4 large tomatoes pureed
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- In a large pot over low heat put the olive oil, carrot, celery, onion and a good pinch of salt. Leave for a few minutes or until the vegetables soften.
- Put the garlic and let three more minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and leave for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Be careful not to overcook the lentils so they do not lose their shape.
- RECIPE NOTES
- It's ready when the lentils are soft.
- Be careful not to overcook the lentils, so they do not lose their shape.
- For the mirepoix, calculate that you have more or less the same amount of onion, carrot, and celery.
This recipe was originally posted in 2015.