This recipe is made in partnership with One Degree Organics, the recipe, photos and opinions are all mine.
First things first, please let me let you know what “frijoles puercos” are. “Frijoles puercos” are a type of refried beans, you can think of them as extra loaded and kinda of spicy refried black beans. I know this is the weirdest name of all, but it is a dish that I grew up with and always loved. This is my grandma’s recipe, and I always thought she named this recipe. But no, when I was writing this post I kept thinking about the name, so I googled it up, and it turns out it is a thing.
I even found different versions of this recipe! Crazy right? So When I was young, my grandma made this recipe by adding pork fat, chorizo, jalapeño and lots of cheese. As I grew older and learned all about clean and good for your body food, I stopped eating the original version of the beans. But I created a new healthy and vegan version for them. I love Mexican food made healthy!
These corn tortillas from One Degree are all I have dreamed of when thinking about healthy Mexican food. These tortillas are soft, tasty and with all the health benefits you can imagine. They have real ingredients, and they know where they come from, they meet the farmers, they visit the farms and learn everything about the ingredients before they develop their products. I do think that every company should work as One Degree Organics works. Don’t you?
Take a look at this video so you can see what I’m talking about:
Related content: Vegan aguachile
These corn tortillas are amazing because they do not break when rolled or when a taco is made. These Mexican tacos with a healthier version of my grandma’s recipe turned out amazing. They are a bit spicy; they have texture and best of all…. They take me to a very happy place every bite I take.
Related content: The best way to eat mushrooms
So here is the recipe for the
best vegan Mexican tacos with “frijoles puercos”
and I hope you like them as much as I do. If you like this recipe and blog post, please share. I truly believe that we the more people eat healthier and learn from the ingredients their food have. The world we live in would be better in every possible way.
Mexican Tacos with "frijoles puercos"
For the beans:
- 6 oz Mexican chorizo I use soy-chorizo
- 2 cups cooked black beans it can also be 1 1/2 can
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers in brine
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the tacos
- 1 package One Degree corn tortillas
- 11/2 cup grated cabbage
- cashew cream
- jalapeño peppers in brine to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown the chorizo for about 10 minutes. When ready add the black beans and water.
- With the back of a spoon smash as much as you can the beans, mix thoroughly and add the jalapeño peppers. Add the salt and test for seasoning, adjust if necessary.
- To make the tacos, first heat the tortillas. Put each tortilla two or three tablespoons of beans, add a bit of shredded cabbage and finish with chopped jalapeño pepper and a drizzle of cashew cream.