This Mexican vegetable soup has been in my family forever, it was passed from my grandma to my mom and from my mom to me.
This soup is one of my favorites. I love everything about it. The smell, the combination of textures and how easy and healthy it is. It screams Mexico all over it, even just looking at it. All those tortilla chips on top, the Mexican zucchini, and zucchini blossom. It is soup I grew up with; it is the kind of recipe that was passed by my grandmother to my mom and from mom to me. It is also so easy to prepare and fancy to serve.
The last time I prepared it was a day that my kids had soccer practice. At the soccer fields, usually, the parents sit on the field and talk while the kids are training. I was talking with a bunch of people about life, kids, and food. Specially Tex-Mex food, which I think it is completely different from authentic Mexican food. (I have to make a little confession here, I´m not fond of Tex-Mex food.)We all started giving opinions about it, and a dad told me that he found Mexican food to be bland. I just could not believe what I heard.
Related content: Vegan French onion Soup
I was in a total state of shock; I just could not give an answer or an opinion to such a poor statement! Especially when I could not wait to get home and eat this full of flavor Mexican vegetable soup, and I was starving and probably cranky. I mean, how can you say Mexican food is bland when every single dish is full of chiles and spices, and combinations of textures and ingredients. Even simple recipes and homey dishes always have a twist to them.
I was so happy when we got home for dinner and had this dish waiting for us. This soup has the perfect combination of vegetables. The poblano pepper gives it a mild spiciness to it without overpowering the sweet flavor of the zucchinis and the zucchini blossoms. And the corn flavor and crunchiness of the tortilla chips around everything else in the soup.
Here is the recipe for this
Mexican vegetable soup
and I hope you like it. If you do, please share it on Instagram with the #piloncilloyvainilla so I can see what you did.
Mexican vegetable soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil olive oil or water
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 poblano pepper stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 2 or 3 Mexican zucchini cut into 1/2 in pieces
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn
- 1/2 cup zucchini blossom canned or from a jar or 1 cup fresh zucchini blossoms sliced
- 5 cups vegetable broth water or a combination of both
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- baked tortilla chips
- sliced avocado
- Heat oil or water in a Dutch oven over medium heat for 20 seconds. Add the onion, garlic and poblano pepper. Cook until fragrant. Add the Mexican zucchini, mushrooms, corn and zucchini blossoms.
- Sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the liquid, Mexican oregano, salt, and pepper; let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Serve and finish with baked tortilla chips and sliced avocado.